Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

3. Schluter and U

Discuss Foam Tile Backer Board Experiment. in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Some of you might remember the tile backer board experiment I started a few weeks ago.

It consisted of a thin piece of board inserted into a bottle of water to see if the cement broke down or changed shape in any way or if the bond between foam/cement came away.

There was no change at all in the cement coating.

838A466D-E05B-4056-9B68-47F78DC64C88.jpeg
    59095573-256C-4C09-BF9B-BD1FA0656328.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Has it expanded at all, have you re-measured it’s thickness?

3. Waluigi

No, it’s exactly the same thickness as it was before I put it in.

The cement coating is solid too. You can’t scrape it any easier than you could before the test started.

The whole thing is solid. Tested he compression strength too by trying to flatten it. obviously point loading is still bad but it always is on these boards.

• Like Like x 3
  4. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Is that Delta board? I have had zero problems with Delta board, but I had Jackoboard problems before. Cement softened when wet and the fibreglass would pull off very easily. Could have been a one-off I guess.

5. Waluigi

I’ve no idea on the branding of this one. It’s known as a ‘trade board’ at my local shop. I also have some Marmox, Orbrey and Wedi I might test. I don’t have any Jacko I’m afraid.

This stuff has a slightly thicker cement coating on one side.

I still like these foam boards. They do have their disadvantages though.

6. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

I have had unbranded board from a ufh supplier that delaminated when left out in the weather . Not really sure if that is a fair test . But literally the cement fell away from the foam board . Consequently i will not use that board .

• Like Like x 2
  7. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Great test