Discuss Floor tiling (Shhh say nothing it's LVT!) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 49260

Hi All (well @Spacey really :) )

I'm about 90% through my bathroom and happy with the refit so far, and especially so with the wall tiling following advice gleaned from here lurking, albeit this is mostly tile on tile, heaven forbid it's actually brick-bonded, AND with bumpy tiles (I know - but I'm not the boss...)

Next job is now the floor and I've stabilised the 19mm chipboard with lots of screws and noggins, over-boarded with 6mm ply - 150mm centres across the staggered panels with 50mm at the board edges.

My question is (rambling I know) is should the plywood panels be butted tight and then prime/SLC'd or loose fit and gaps filled with skim coat then SLC, for SLC I'm using a smoothing compound of course ;-) my spikey roller arriving tomorrow so I can't put job off much longer! I have a Fein multimaster if I need to detune the butt fit panels to gappy ;-)

If job wasn't a quick refit of an old Aunts house (penthouse red bog anyone?) to then sell to fund her care I would have used a pro - but then I wouldn't have met you lot straight away, as I'd have had 3 quotes and picked the cheapest AND then come here to ask for help ;-)

Neil

R

Rookery

Few pro's would have over-boarded with 6mm ply. A failure waiting to happen. 6mm Hardie glued & screwed would have been a better choice.

D

Dumbo

I think you will find the minimum overboarding recommended by the likes of karndean is 10 mm

D

Deleted member 49260

Few pro's would have over-boarded with 6mm ply. A failure waiting to happen. 6mm Hardie glued & screwed would have been a better choice.

I know cement boards are definitely not recommended, although once it has SLC on top I'm noture it matters - and is probably overkill for Vinyl?

D

Deleted member 49260

I think you will find the minimum overboarding recommended by the likes of karndean is 10 mm

Not according to the tech docs (which don't like wood full stop!) but I do just have just enough room for another 6mm (really 5.5mm) though I doubt 2x6/5.5 as good as 11/12??

M

MarshallTile

6mm Flooring grade plywood is the minimum requirement for Lvt flooring.
To make the best job prime it (not pva ) then use a quality flex screed which must be 3mm min.

Reply to Floor tiling (Shhh say nothing it's LVT!) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks