Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Floor sanding accessories in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

F

Flintstone

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Can anybody offer any suggestions on anternative to diamond cup for 180mm floor grinder? I’m after something less harsh for fresher screeds that need a lighter sand..

OP
I

Italy

Sorry Andy didn’t see this.
60# copper sanding disc. Don’t ask me where to get one. :)
this is in my garage
www.qualitystore.it-050700107-20.jpg

OP
F

Flintstone

Not sure what you mean by tungsten carbide pads? Id like a durable solution, do the copper discs last a while or do they wear fast like a paper disc does

OP
I

Italy

Not sure what you mean by tungsten carbide pads? Id like a durable solution, do the copper discs last a while or do they wear fast like a paper disc does
those in copper are tungsten carbide.
they last longer, but the cost is also higher.
mine does not do a good job, maybe I took a too big degree.
I prefer sandpaper, but I could be wrong I do not use it much.

OP
H

hmtiling

Perhaps I should try some 60 grit sandpaper first and see how that goes
I've used sandpaper on fresh ones with success Andy. I've only ever had alpha hemi hydrite ones though if that makes any difference. Interestingly, I've just seen a statement from Knauf, who supply the raw material for the ones I get, that the alpha hemi ones mayhew easy screed do don't need sanding!

OP
F

Flintstone

Well, I'd take that with a pinch of salt ey.
I've come across all sorts all more so lately cement based screeds that need sanding, and if your sanding within the first couple of months they all sand pretty easily, the diamond can be over kill for them.

OP
C

Concrete guy

I've come across all sorts all more so lately cement based screeds that need sanding, and if your sanding within the first couple of months they all sand pretty easily, the diamond can be over kill for them.

Take a look at Abtec Abrasives website, they stock things like silicon carbide screen meshes which are less aggressive than cup wheels but tend to be for larger machines at 225mm or 430mm.

We point people to them when they are trying to sand or polish some microtoppings that behave more like a levelling compound than a sand/cement screed.

The advantage of diamonds only kicks in when you're removing a lot of material or the floor is very dense/abrasive, or both.

OP
H

hmtiling

I've always sanded them but am going to do a test next one I get. Primed, unprimed, sanded and primed, unsanded and umprimed. I'll fix with anhyfix as usual and post results.
If it was a screed company saying that then I'd take it with a lot of salt but can't imagine a company like knauf making a statement like that without it being factually correct. Big firms like that tend to err on the side of caution. Who knows?
Big risk as opposed to a relatively small amount of work though

Reply to Floor sanding accessories in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock