Discuss Floor prep in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Cabnero

Hi guys. Due to tile my mum's bathroom next week but the guy doing the plumbing I asked to lay the ply and nog the floor as I'm only in and out and he need to do his pipework etc. I've asked him to prime underneath etc.however I was there today after he left and having checked I'm not 100% about what he's done. Firstly he's laid the ply in 4 squares so 4 corners are almosthe meeting but slightly staggered. Im not sure I would have done this as feel it could be a weak point?. Also he has nogged the floor. The perimiter is all done and is fine but the noggins are about 800mm apart. I was going to ask him to put more noggins in to make 400 centers. Would this be correct or am I being ott. The noggins are 6x2 I think. The joist are 8x2 and the tiles will be be 600x600 porcelain. Hardi and ditra are both being laid. While the ply is not screwed down I would appreciate your advice. Thanks.

M

Mike ramsdale

I would rip ply up put more nogs in, re ply then either or hardi or ditra cant see why you would use both to be honest.

C

Cabnero

Thanks for the answer. I was advised on a previous thread to use both. All bought now so it's going down! So 400mm centres would be correct for noggins

M

Mike ramsdale

I cant see what pupose the hardie will be serving if ditra on top? Don't know if anyone can enlighten me. But yeah 400 spacings should be fine, do you not need to try to remain reasonably level with adjoining rooms?

C

Cabnero

Hi Mike. I looked at that thread again and miss understood it. It said either backer Or ditra. Doh As I have it there won't be any han in using it, right?

M

Mike ramsdale

No, apart from wasted time, materials and possibly creating a big step to ajoining rooms. just do either/or and save the the rest for next job

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Floor prep in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks