Discuss Floor build up for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dave Dux

Current plan for floor is 18mm chipboard + 6mm nmp, then 6mm insulation board + durabase Matt with Electra heating cable before tiling with flexible ad. Insulation board and Matt to be installed with flexible adhesive. No screed over cable.

Question, is it worth sticking with the insulation board to improve warm up time?

Thanks

J

Just Rizzle

im not a fan of insulation board over wood.as wood is an insulator and heat rises i think its a waste of money.

L

LM

I agree with Julian, we need to know the answer to that question first to then advise on best practice.

J

Just Rizzle

if its a floating floor he shouldn't be tiling in hard tiles, should be using lvt which is more adapt to movement

D

Dave Dux

Sorry guys, missed the update email amongst all the Black Friday stuff.

Chipboard is screwed at 150mm centres to joists and noggins with 6mm nmp glued and screwed on top.

Thanks

S

Spare Tool

answer to 1st question is still no
Agreed wood is an insulator but cement board isnt, no point heating that up, I'd have done away with the nmp and used a 10mm insulation board, but as nmp is already down for what it is might as well insulate before ufh mat..

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Personally I don’t use insulating boards or uncoupling matting when installing UFH on timber floors.

6mm Hardie backer glued and screwed, heating cable, thin skim of levelling compound and tile over.

Heating up time is around 15mins.

S

Spare Tool

Maybe in the heat up time there's probably not a lot in it, but overall efficiency has got to be better with insulation boards..

W

Waluigi

Heat up time is far better with an insulation board. There’s very little heat sink with the board.

However the likes of Hardiebacker and Aquapanel do stay hot far longer than an insulation board. Whether that matters or not is another story.

Reply to Floor build up for tiling in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks