Discuss Floating floor replacement in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

ARC123

Hi.

I've discovered I'm the not too lucky owner of a Floating Floor, 18mm chipboard on 25mm insulation, supported by concrete "block and beam" I'm having a new kitchen and when the old tiled floor came up (slate on 18mm chip ply) we found the dreaded floating floor below. The old floor had flex in several places and some tiles were loose or cracked. All the advice I've seen so far is "Don't tile on it" ! So it's coming up and I need to replace it with something which will take 450mmx450mm ceramic tiles and last as long as I do. Going for alternative surfacing us not an option as I want the tiles to match those in an adjacent conservatory and they were bought on special order. The Difference in Levels between the rooms is not a problem as there are steps between the two.

Question is what to put down instead? I need to make a decision ASAP. All advice from those who have experience of this most welcome.

Andy

I

Ian

What height have you got to play with? Ideally you'd put 100mm insulation with a minimum 70mm screed (less if anhydrite is used, 40mm possibly), do you have that sort of room with doors etc.

A

ARC123

Hi Bri.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I've only got around 60mm to play with , plus the tile bed and tiles.

A

ARC123

Could use 50mm marmox boards

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've just checked these out , would you lay them directly onto the block and beam with a bed of tile cement or would you need to put a self levelling compound onto the block and beam first ?

There will be a 2mx1m island unit with a granite worktop going on this floor so it needs to be solid.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

block and beam floor simple expanding metal screed 30 mm lay tiles into wet screed should get at least 100 years + out of it you need to look for a tiler who has the know how no problem for them and it should be finished in 1 day with next day grouting fix kitchen two days later

A

ARC123

block and beam floor simple expanding metal screed 30 mm lay tiles into wet screed should get at least 100 years + out of it you need to look for a tiler who has the know how no problem for them and it should be finished in 1 day with next day grouting fix kitchen two days later

Hi. I can see how that would be very rigid but if I've got it right I'd not have any insulation under the floor and I'm not having under floor heating.

R

What height have you got to play with? Ideally you'd put 100mm insulation with a minimum 70mm screed (less if anhydrite is used, 40mm possibly), do you have that sort of room with doors etc.
6 mm insulation board will give you the same insulation as 100 mm on a block and beam floor

R

Hi. I can see how that would be very rigid but if I've got it right I'd not have any insulation under the floor and I'm not having under floor heating.
a block and beam floor is a raised floor not connected to the ground and vented so you have 30 mm screed
plus 100 mm of beam just how much perma frost do we get in the uk or did i miss somethink the beam is an insulater the screed is an insulater the tile is an insulater do you have snow and frost failing from your ceiling

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Problem with this country is its insulation mad .
I'm sure government has some kind of deal with insulation manufacturers like kingspan to use sell loads of the stuff, Christ my extension has more insulation than the bloody space shuttle :grin:personally I think it's all balls:innocent:

A

ARC123

I'm now confused as the tiler contracted to the kitchen supplier (they are supplying all trades) says he's happy to overlay the floating floor with 18mm ply and tile with a 10mm bed of flexible cement. The tiles are 450x450 ceramic. After speaking to the tech dept at Marmox they felt that 40mm Multiboard onto the a screed on the block and beam was a good solution. Next question is who is liable for any failure ? As my contract is with the kitchen supplier and I'm only paying them I'm assuming they are liable for any defects.

O

Old Mod

No matter what the substrate, ply is not a suitable material to tile on to!
A professional tiler who is up to date with latest practises would know this.

Reply to Floating floor replacement in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks