Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Fitting a mirror flush in tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Stuart

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,

I'm fitting a plain mirror inset and flush into tiles in a wetroom (It will be a custom size mirror, which isn't ordered yet and tile isn't yet started).

I've seen conflicting advice re the order to do this in. Some says to fit the mirror then tile around it. Others say to do the tile, leave a gap and then get the mirror cut to fit.

My initial thoughts....
- If I tile first, then if the hole I leave isn't *perfectly* square then I'm not going to get the best fit when I install the mirror.
- But tile first also allows me to ensure the gap is a whole number of tiles to keep it simple and tidy.

Any thoughts on pros and cons?

Cheers

OP
Q

Qwerty

No cons with fitting mirror last. That's how I've always done it. Ensure your substrate is flat, your tile is straight and level and it's simple really.

Fitting the mirror first is asking for trouble... risk of chipping, layout may not suit position etc

How big a mirror were you thinking?

OP
Q

Qwerty

I personally prefer the mirror set into and flush with the tiles as it looks neat and purposeful. I always leave the perimeter joint with the tiles free from grout and silicone instead.

Funnily enough I haven't done one for quite a while but here are some I've done from a few years back (I do wish people would stop choosing travertine mosaic borders!!! :mad:).....

FB_IMG_1508937721297.jpg
FB_IMG_1508937789050.jpg
FB_IMG_1508937704922.jpg
FB_IMG_1508938231621.jpg
FB_IMG_1508938092080.jpg

Full length mirror from border to coving.. ...

FB_IMG_1508938130204.jpg
FB_IMG_1508938156315.jpg
FB_IMG_1508938158911.jpg

A mirror on top of tiles.....
FB_IMG_1508938322340.jpg

OP
D

Dumbo

Tile first . Then fit mirror , easy to make sure mirror is flush using mirror https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ just push it in till it is flush . As @Plan Tec Tiling leave a gap then silicone ensuring you use low modulus silicone or else you might risk damaging the reflective surface of mirror .

OP
O

One Day

Funny story, but I can't verify it:
I was doing some work in a boutique hotel in the Lakes last winter and they had big mirrors installed in all the bathrooms there. The guys who were installing them told me that they had just finished a really good job in Manchester in a large hotel where the mirrors had all been installed using cheap-as-chips silicone. They were called in to replace over 80 mirrors.
The numpties who installed the mirrors in Manchester thought they would have a "bit of a larf" and decorate the bare walls with large phalluses and swear words, all drawn in copious amounts of silicone to which the mirrors were then fixed.
Unfortunately, the cheap silicone then started to corroded the silver backing on the mirrors and all the hidden creativity started to show through in all 80 rooms at pretty much the same time!

Reply to Fitting a mirror flush in tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock