Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss First time post ....problematic sandstone floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United Kingdom
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, iv been apart of the forum for a little while now but never posted until now. I’m Geoff and my company is GHL Bathrooms and tile we’ve been trading on and off (off when I was paye for a few years) for 15 ish years now around central Scotland. Thought I’d share this job to see if you thought my approach and execution was right or over the top .. here’s what we done. 600x400 sand stone on a chipboard floating floor
1) 10mm construction board fixed with addi “and washers”.
2) fitted ufh and screeded with self level.
3) bedded ontop tilemasters anti fracture mat.
4) tiles with tilemaster semi rapid
5) tilemaster grout
Question is do you think the anti fracture mat was also needed?

30A376A2-9111-484D-99BA-759FA397D3E6.jpeg BDF9431A-A5CB-4A22-94EA-F807DCB887C2.jpeg E44C27E3-87BF-4CF7-8193-49DD14E8E079.jpeg D504B0F2-6F96-4365-939A-F5C357F04D59.jpeg BCBAF8FE-7D5B-4E59-BAA4-8E7059A7444A.jpeg 8246D348-48A2-4884-B30A-FD3D3F5203E8.jpeg 2AEE93C3-BA62-47FB-B079-4A2E5632223A.jpeg 763878C6-1ABE-436C-BA99-4EDF6F24CB22.jpeg 28BA7D4A-9EA9-4CB1-9133-12CDD46AFD66.jpeg 174014C4-B35E-402E-B208-A632AC949284.jpeg BED2BA4C-1DFA-4B8F-A9CB-3B68134606CD.jpeg 332D1B13-074C-4120-8E43-661629A47DFB.jpeg 35B3103D-BFC1-4F9C-815E-2F71B419DBAE.jpeg 6C3512F8-8D8D-4D0C-BA73-E7C1EB005013.jpeg

OP
Geoff Thacker
Reaction score
Hi , JC. The floor was previously tiled “badly” directly onto the chipboard and to be honest the tiles lifted and left the floor clean (what would indicate lack of primer) but only two small areas the tiles were cracked so we put concrete anchors in that area so I’m more the confident to guarantee my work.. G

W

WetSaw

So what is "problematic" with the floor?

In answer to your question, yes to antifracture mat with stone over UFH ( not disregarding the floating floor which is another matter )

D

Dumbo

Hi , JC. The floor was previously tiled “badly” directly onto the chipboard and to be honest the tiles lifted and left the floor clean (what would indicate lack of primer) but only two small areas the tiles were cracked so we put concrete anchors in that area so I’m more the confident to guarantee my work.. G
As long as you're happy . But just saying

OP
Geoff Thacker
Reaction score
So what is "problematic" with the floor?

In answer to your question, yes to antifracture mat with stone over UFH ( not disregarding the floating floor which is another matter )
Maybe problematic was the wrong title maybe “overthought” is better apologies

OP
Geoff Thacker
Reaction score
What I should of asked is, I don’t know why the anti fracture mat was required is that not just doing the same job as the insulting board ... and I suppose in a way the job was problematic as it caused a slipped disc that pinched my sciatic nerve:(

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always spec anti frac over UFH with natural stone. Not sure if it's B.S yet but I heard ages ago it will be in their next update.

F

Flintstone

Floating floor is a no no for me, especially with stone! If this was not a floating floor, your best option would be to use an ufh system which uses an uncoupling membrane such as vario pro, ditra heat etc etc. Less labour, less materials, the way to go with stone over ufh.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
All I can say is your very brave tile a floating floor with stone....... it's not something I would of done, but I hope it works out for you.

O

One Day

My issue with floating floors is not really lateral movement which can be dealt with as you have done here. But it's the fact that the boards are floating on polystyrene which over time can compress and leave voids under the boards. That's the big risk for me, although being brutally honest it will likely be years before it happens and you'll likely be forgotten about!

D

Dumbo

My issue with floating floors is not really lateral movement which can be dealt with as you have done here. But it's the fact that the boards are floating on polystyrene which over time can compress and leave voids under the boards. That's the big risk for me, although being brutally honest it will likely be years before it happens and you'll likely be forgotten about!
Ground workers must be better in your part of the country down here the over site isn't flat so as you walk over the floating floor it moves vertically because it rocks on the uneven oversite as the load changes .

O

One Day

Ground workers must be better in your part of the country down here the over site isn't flat so as you walk over the floating floor it moves vertically because it rocks on the uneven oversite as the load changes .
Absolutely! And those kind you simply walk away from...

Reply to First time post ....problematic sandstone floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock