Discuss First time DIY tiler tackling a non straight external corner in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first time DIY tiler and have almost finished tiling my bathroom walls with 600 X 300 floor to ceiling, but I've hit a snagging point... I've got a floor to ceiling external corner which isn't straight by quite a long way. I want to use straight edge trim, but am really not confident about what to do to get it looking reasonable.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chloe

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tile it level on one wall, then build the other wall out with the adhesive, let it go off then tile the other wall.
How far out of level is it..?

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the reply. See pic attached. About an inch at the top.

IMAG0566.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes, as above,.....chop off the plaster at the top of the wall.
do you know why it's been plastered like that?

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
Hi, thanks very much for all the replies. I've sanded the plaster right back in places and it looks like the metal corner bead used to reinforce the corner of the wall is not at all straight hence the dodgy plastering over it.

S

Spare Tool

If you cant get it back any more...
Set your vertical laser line to the widest point at the top and cut all the tiles to that line, fill in the return behind with plasterboard and rapidset..

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
OK, thanks, will give it a try. Just out of interest... Is there a type of tile trim which is more forgiving on non straight walls? Would you say the straight edge stuff is more difficult to get a good finish on?

Thanks so much for all the advice.

M

Matt Bott

Schluter trims can be ordered with slits cut in the part that sits under the tile allowing you to curve it a lot easier they also have a tool for continuous and uniform bends

M

Matt Bott

I do however thing you would be better of doing all cuts on a guide and just building out the corner as mentioned above

F

Flintstone

Dot and dab the wall out to bring it plumb, probably easier than chipping off plaster and skimming with adhesive

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Chloe, how did you get on?

Chloe

TF
Reaction score
So far so good... Haven't got very far though. I only have evenings and weekends and I don't know how you pros do it all so quick! Takes me ages :) I hope this is what you meant for me to do. Will pack out the other wall with plasterboard and adhesive...

IMAG0567.jpg

Reply to First time DIY tiler tackling a non straight external corner in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks