Discuss Fine grout dust - how to remove in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Spent hours removing grout haze from porcelain tiles (don't think I changed the water in my bucket often enough) and am now left with a very fine grout dust on the tiles. Struggling to get this up - just seem to move it from one tile to the other.

Could I mop the floor now? Worried though that if i do that it will just reactivate the grout and create a haze again.

Any advice appreciated.

T

Tile Shop

If they are glazed porcelain or matt/textured unglazed porcelain, you will need the LTP Grout Stain Remover. Dilute it, pour it on, scrub with an emusifying pad, rinse with clean water, mop it up, leave it to dry, give it a buff with a towel or micro-fibre cloth, job done.

If they are full-bodied polished porcelain, as above but with the LTP Power-stripper instead. Tiles may require a reseal with the LTP MPG Sealer when you're done.

Similar products from other manufacturers also available :)

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and the useful advice. They are unglazed matt porcelain - will give this a go.

I grouted more of the floor today and this time I went over the tiles 3 times (yesterday only twice) and I changed the water more regularly. I also followed the technique that I have read many on here use with their washboys (although I am only using a bucket and sponge):
- First wash in a circular or diagonal movement to remove the excess grout and form joints;
- Second wash - I did one movement along the tiles in one direction, rinsed my sponge and then moved on to the next area
- Third wash - same as second wash

The result once dried was vastly different to the previous day - this time I was only left with a thin grout haze and this was easily buffed up with a cloth. So much quicker and easier.

Hope that might help some other DIYers out there with not much experience, like myself.

Reaction score
20-30 minutes. I basically wait for the excess grout on the tiles to dry - it looks like a matt finish once dry. I tend to mix enough grout up for an area that will take me half an hour or so to cover, and as soon as I've finished grouting the area, I go back to the start to begin the wash.

Reaction score
That reminds me of a customer who asked our advice on cleaning the grout of the tiles He literally went by instructions on bag to clean off after the grouting had been completed the big problem was that he did the grouting over a course of a few days and after he had finished all of the grouting he then tried to clean off the grout :eek:

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Would always recommend a test on two tiles first, pre wet the joints also, this can buffer the acidic product when applied ( don't want to discolour or lighten the joint)

Start a high dilution, test and add more product or increase the application time if req. Work with the pad,as Paul rec/ every min- test at 1-2 mins- even if the bottle states 10-15 min application ,it may have lifted. Again minimising possible damage the the grout joint. Rinse well . If test has worked, work through in small controlled sections.

Reply to Fine grout dust - how to remove in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks