Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss False chimney breast..split face slate mosaic in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

Ant

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all

I'm a keen diy'er and have tiled the odd bathroom in the past.

I'm looking to build a false chimney breast in my living room (timber frame). I want to fix it with split face slate or quartzite mosaic.

I'm after advice on which board to fix.. I'm thinking hardiebacker or similar (6 or 12mm?)?? Would this be sufficient screwed directly to the timber frame or is there a better option.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ant

OP
A

Ant

Thanks mate, yeh it's purely for decoration, gonna tile the whole thing, put a tv and flat electric fire on there. I was a bit worried about the weights of the mosaics on plain plasterboard... is that not an issue in this case then?

So you mean just to put a thin coat of dlexi https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ on the board, let dry and then tile as normal with the same https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/?

mike t

TF
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a keen diy'er and have tiled the odd bathroom in the past.

I'm looking to build a false chimney breast in my living room (timber frame). I want to fix it with split face slate or quartzite mosaic.

I'm after advice on which board to fix.. I'm thinking hardiebacker or similar (6 or 12mm?)?? Would this be sufficient screwed directly to the timber frame or is there a better option.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ant
to be completely sure, wedi boards, marmox or jackoboards would be the best option. definitely get a good fixing then.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think split faced stone is over 50kg m2 , plasterboard should only be tiled up to 32kg, I’ve tiled over plasterboard heavier that 32kg, but not by another 20ish kg.
Hardie all the way

Reply to False chimney breast..split face slate mosaic in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock