Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss False chimney breast..split face slate mosaic in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Ant

Ant Active Member

Hi all

I'm a keen diy'er and have tiled the odd bathroom in the past.

I'm looking to build a false chimney breast in my living room (timber frame). I want to fix it with split face slate or quartzite mosaic.

I'm after advice on which board to fix.. I'm thinking hardiebacker or similar (6 or 12mm?)?? Would this be sufficient screwed directly to the timber frame or is there a better option.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ant

2. jimthetiler

jimthetiler Active Member

If it is just for decoration you can use normal plaster board as long as you skim the board with
    a flexi adhesive.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Ant

Ant Active Member

Thanks mate, yeh it's purely for decoration, gonna tile the whole thing, put a tv and flat electric fire on there. I was a bit worried about the weights of the mosaics on plain plasterboard... is that not an issue in this case then?

So you mean just to put a thin coat of dlexi adhesive on the board, let dry and then tile as normal with the same adhesive?

4. jimthetiler

yes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Ant

Ant Active Member

Thanks for that, one last question? Prime the board?? :thumbsup:

6. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

You require a dedicated tile backer board such as Hardibacker, Schluter, Marmox, Wedi etc. These can take the weight of tbe split face tiles

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

8. jimthetiler

flexi adhesive needs no primer.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Find a Tiler Post a Job Tile Events Tile Pics Blog Adhesive Poll Handy Downloads