Discuss Extension UFH combined with existing floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

MarkUFH

TF
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm currently building a single floor rear extension that will have UFH, I'm pretty confident about the extension UFH. 100mm insulation, 70mm screed, etc. My question is about the existing kitchen and dining room that will become one open plan space as part of the extension.

The make up of the existing floor is 60mm of screed on a block and beam floor. I would like to install UFH in this existing area also. Is it worth/possible to take up the existing screed and install a insulated solution option B, or just go for an overlay solution option A?

upload_2017-10-14_0-34-31.png

I would prefer option C if possible due to it being insulated and introduces less of a height difference with the rest of the house. Any special considerations needed for option C?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Chalker

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Option b, every time .
Rip up the old floor and screed right through.
It's not perfect with 25mm insulation, but it's the best that you can get with the limitations of floor build up.
Also for tiling, it makes a continuous floor. With no differing rates of expansion.

D

Dumbo

Option b but at that thickness of screed you would have to use a poured screed but I'm not sure if it ok at 40mm @Ajax123 is your man to answer that .

OP
M

MarkUFH

TF
Reaction score
Thanks both.

I was planning on using and poured/liquid screed anyway. Is there an optimum insulation/screed ratio as I am height limited?

Also am I able to use the same pipe throughout or should the loop in the existing maybe user smaller pipe?

Cheers.

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
If you use Gypsol HTC anhydrite screed over a 16mm pipe you can lay it at a depth of 41mm from the top of the insulation to the top of the screed. This screed is specifically designed to offer very thin depth and very high thermal performance to make the underfloor heating system as efficient as possible. Typically it increases the coefficient of performance for the heating system by some 25%.

If you intend to use a cement based screed then the minimum depth would be 65mm. This means that the minimum depth is over the top of the pip so with a 16mm pipe you would need 81mm. Most people compromise at 75mm...it may still crack.

OP
M

MarkUFH

TF
Reaction score
That's great thanks. Is there a maximum depth? The new extension screed will be about 70/80mm to make it level with the existing floor.

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
That's great thanks. Is there a maximum depth? The new extension screed will be about 70/80mm to make it level with the existing floor.
If you wnted a liquid screed you could just put deeper insulation into fill the void. This might allow you to use polystyrene instead of foil backed PIC thus saving quite a bit of money per m2

OP
M

MarkUFH

TF
Reaction score
Great idea. So just bring all levels to 40mm. Any recommendations for company's that do this screed in the Leicester area?

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Great idea. So just bring all levels to 40mm. Any recommendations for company's that do this screed in the Leicester area?
will message you

OP
M

MarkUFH

TF
Reaction score
Hi all.

I eventually went for a cementitious screed . It was pumped in February. I'm only now in a position to commission the UFH and lay tiles.

Unfortunately some cracks have developed in the screed. Some only hairline, others maybe 2-3mm wide. They developed slowly in the first few months after installation and haven't really changed since then. These cracks are both in the existing section of the house, block and beam floor. And also in the extension, solid slab.

1. Should I be concerned with these cracks?
2. How do I stabilise them?
3. Am I OK to tile directly on the screed with porcelain tiles? 600mm x 300mm

Many thanks all.

upload_2018-8-21_22-31-24.png

upload_2018-8-21_22-31-50.png

upload_2018-8-21_22-32-12.png

F

Flintstone

Mark, you could repair the cracks with a resin crack repair system, there’s a few out there is too google. I would deffinately fit an uncoupling mat such as ditra over the floor to protect the tiles from any expansion / contraction and also to help take the risk away from the cracks transferring through the tiles. Also, the screed looks like it needs sanding, was it a pumped in fast setting type of cement screed ?

Ajax123

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
F

Flintstone

That will need sanding mark, despite what the manufactuers claim. Here’s one I recently did. Not the same exactly but the same system, sprayed on curing agent etc

The first two are pre sanded, with a skin on, and the second are after sanding.
7E94306E-1D2D-4637-8E39-03ED079CB46A.jpeg
68A0AF03-0C0A-4320-B4F5-AA2814BDA33E.jpeg
65DF2E51-562F-4871-9273-4A62DD2C829C.jpeg
46DD044C-E9A7-4FF7-BB2D-7F7DD69F4F06.jpeg

Reply to Extension UFH combined with existing floor in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer