Discuss Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Beyond the Blue, I have tiled a few formers with 600x600mm porcelain, prefer the ones where the waste is central rather than linear. As the tiles follow the fall the grout joints will slightly widen and close up in places, but by laying dry and making small adjustments it should all work out fine.

Reaction score
Hi Beyond the Blue, I have tiled a few formers with 600x600mm porcelain, prefer the ones where the waste is central rather than linear. As the tiles follow the fall the grout joints will slightly widen and close up in places, but by laying dry and making small adjustments it should all work out fine.

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
I'm about to start tiling over a Impey Aqua Grade former with 600 x 600 floor tiles using envolope cuts. One of the cuts will be corner to corner so will be 850mm long. When the corner of the tile drops 20mm the gap must open up accordingly. By how much will it open up roughly? Will it look silly and what can be done to make it look acceptable? I haven't made the cut yet in order not to waste the tile. Hope you guys might offer some advice before I start.
Hello BTB,
This is a belated reply as I haven't been on here for yonks but I understand what you meant, totally.
I just did an Impey floor the same and the gradient made the grout lines converge where they shouldn't and the opposite et cetera. Like some of the other guys said, you can muddle the pieces around to "rob Peter to pay Paul" with the grout joint widths.
I found that the best way with such gradients and steep cuts is to definitely isolate the tiling of the tray from the rest of the floor.
Chewie

Reaction score
Hello BTB,
This is a belated reply as I haven't been on here for yonks but I understand what you meant, totally.
I just did an Impey floor the same and the gradient made the grout lines converge where they shouldn't and the opposite et cetera. Like some of the other guys said, you can muddle the pieces around to "rob Peter to pay Paul" with the grout joint widths.
I found that the best way with such gradients and steep cuts is to definitely isolate the tiling of the tray from the rest of the floor.
Chewie
I'm about to start later today, so time will tell.

Reaction score
EED2A52E-ED9B-4A7F-9D9C-0C2E87C92D4F.jpeg
B5BF42B1-B383-47FA-86AF-47D8CDEBACCD.jpeg
One I did yesterday, 2mm joints in envelope and normal joints

Reply to Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks