Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'm about to start tile over a Impey Aqua Grade former with 600 x 600 floor tiles using envolope cuts. One of the cuts will be corner to corner so will be 850mm long. When the corner of the tile drops 20mm the gap must open up accordingly. By how much will it open up roughly? Will it look silly and what can be done to make it look acceptable? I haven't made the cut yet in order not to waste the tile. Hope you guys might offer some advice before I start.

Reaction score
Do you mean where the tiles outside the tray meet the ones on the inside or do you mean just the cut tiles within the tray?
Any pics would help

B

Bill

A wet saw cut (or angle grinder if you have a steady hand) will be a good joint size to match the existing grout joints - if you are doing 2 or 3mm joints that is.

Because the tile will be sloping, only the underneath of the tile will be wider, the top should be the same as the non-cut joints.

Reaction score
As tom says above - the tile will only widen at the underneath, the face of the tile should be spaced to the width of the blade you use to make the cuts.

OP
Beyond the blue
Reaction score
A wet saw cut (or angle grinder if you have a steady hand) will be a good joint size to match the existing grout joints - if you are doing 2 or 3mm joints that is.

Because the tile will be sloping, only the underneath of the tile will be wider, the top should be the same as the non-cut joints.
Wow can't get my head around that! So you are saying that if I cut corner to corner with a 2mm blade and drop one corner by 20mm the joint will remain parallel? I get what you mean about the joint being wider underneath though.

OP
Beyond the blue
Reaction score
As tom says above - the tile will only widen at the underneath, the face of the tile should be spaced to the width of the blade you use to make the cuts.
This is doing my head in trying to grasp this (and I recon to be reasonably educated). It's 10pm and I'm tempted to cut a tile and try it, in order to sleep tonight. LOL

Reaction score
ha
I’m sure your over thinking slightly!
you should cut everything and place them dry, you’ll be able to juggle here and there if you need to - all comes with practice

W

Waluigi

Have you thought about the joint actually closing as it drops into position?

Well, you have now:tearsofjoy:

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above cut the tiles and lay them dry to achieve the envelope layout suitable for the tray these were cut free hand with a 115mm angle grinder . Kop

20181201_132750.jpg 20181203_173253.jpg 20190102_150631.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Old news but it still doesn’t get any better - and I’d certainly not recommend it as a ‘ professional’ result!
I remember the thread - the discussion - your resulting choice - and sadly it’s not the answer to setting out a former tray.
Fail to plan - plan to fail!

Reply to Envolope cut joint widening? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock