Discuss Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

Alzak

Hi All,

Need an advice with regards to underfloor heating and which brand to go for...

Need about 7m2 200w for my conservatory, 6m2 150w for kitchen and around 2m2 150w for bathroom.

There is so many brands to choose from Warmup, ProWarm, WarmStar, Underfloor Heating Co and I'm bit lost as I'm not too sure what people tend to go for and is the most expensive the best one ?

OP
F

Flintstone

What tiles are you laying ?
Pro warm is a good bet, it's mid price range and good quality.
There are kits with an uncoupling membrane built in if your going to be laying stone tiles

OP
A

Alzak

This would go under marble tiles.

I do not want to compromise on quality but I would also want to avoid spending more than I have to...

I would look on this ProWarm now, I hope this can be linked to WarmUp thermostat as this is what I'm planning to use for ability to remotely control this underfloor heating.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
We've got our range of Elektra Heating mats which are supplied world wide.

Our Mats would be suitable for you marble tiles, you can also get a extra 5% discount from us with the forum code.

Feel free to give me a call and I can arrange a quote for you.

OP
J

J Sid

I do not want to compromise on quality but I would also want to avoid spending more than I have to...

I would look on this ProWarm now, I hope this can be linked to WarmUp thermostat as this is what I'm planning to use for ability to remotely control this underfloor heating.
talk to the supplier to see if these are compatible

Reaction score
I have used the Comfort Zone range from thermonet on a couple of my floors now both under marble and porcelain and never had any problems :)

OP
S

Spare Tool

Ive just supplied a warm up ie remote thermostat to go with the pro warm mat, as recommend by underfloorheatingstore..

OP
F

Flintstone

Any reason for not running one wattage throughout? Your gonna have to fit uncoupling down before tiling it, it might work out cheaper and certainly easier to fit something like vario pro or ditra heat which has uncoupling built in, and no need to look self level over the wires

OP
A

Alzak

No need for such a high W in kitchen as with conservatory.

I did not plan to use uncoupling mat is this necessary ? my plan was to use 6mm insulating mats.

OP
S

Spare Tool

No need for such a high W in kitchen as with conservatory.

I did not plan to use uncoupling mat is this necessary ? my plan was to use 6mm insulating mats.
I wouldn't fit any natural tile on ufh without at least a crack mat..

OP
S

Spare Tool

:pointup: as above you at least fit a crack Matt, with that in mind I'd look at the viaro pro as it's a decoupler too may work out cheeper over all, plus a great system,
It'd be interesting to see a price comparison..also working in the continued extra running costs for having no insulation between mat and screed.

OP
F

Flintstone

I know your wel sorted with the ufh store but generally speaking, I would also be interested to know the cost different. With vario pro for example, you lay it and then tile it with stone. With regular heat mat, you lay it, level it then fit an uncoupler, that's quite expensive and time consuming and labour intensive

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Yea thts what I meant haven't actually crumched the numbers but I think in terms of cost to customer, there would really be no massive price difference either way, but I think vairo would work a bit cheaper, if you include labour and materials over all

OP
A

Alzak

Can someone explain me purpose of this "uncoupling membrane" ?

My understanding was that on concrete you stick insulation boards with flexible adhesive and then heating mat covered with white flexible adhesive which you stick marble tiles on ?

Is this not correct process for tiling and underfloor heating ?

electric-underfloor-heating-tiles-buildup-thermonet_1.jpg

OP
F

Flintstone

That is correct for porcelain tiles. With natural stone they are soft and aren't structurally stable as porcelain, as you will find out when a few probably fall in two!
The uncoupling is basically a layer which separates the tiles from the substrate, it alows some expansion and contraction in the floor without it transferring to the tile. There often made up of about 3 layers so can move independently

OP
A

Alzak

Ah I see now I knew that stone tiles are not as hard as ceramic and that was the reason for using flexible tile adhesive so any movement in substrate would not transfer to tiles.

With this uncoupling membrane can you just lay this over heating mat or you need something between heating mat and membrane ? would membrane take the heat from heating mat without any issues ?

OP
F

Flintstone

Your best to use self levelling compound over the wires then lay the uncoupling once that's set. Heat is fine

OP
A

Alzak

No I would not be doing this myself but I want to make sure this is done right and I would be buying all bits required apart from adhesive.

Any recommendations for this uncoupling mat ?

OP
F

Flintstone

My advice would be have a talk with the tiler before buying anything and see what he says /recommends

OP
A

Alzak

That would be a problem as installation would be done by my Dad who would be flying in here from continental Europe for 2 weeks, saying this we have different approach to underfloor heating as is mainly (99%) water based systems so that’s why I need help on products from you guys.

He fitted tiles on 100s of floors with underfloor heating but not on wires… and his knowledge on local products is limited as well.

Lee@emctiles

TF
Supporter
Reaction score
Yea thts what I meant haven't actually crumched the numbers but I think in terms of cost to customer, there would really be no massive price difference either way, but I think vairo would work a bit cheaper, if you include labour and materials over all

i agree, variopro would be more expensive, but when you weigh up the down time ect (your time) price doesnt work out that much more.

Reply to Electric Underfloor Heating Mat in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer