Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Edwardian Floor - deep set ground in dirt in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Deleted member 52248

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Good afternoon all,

Discovered a beautiful Edwardian floor underneath some horrific 60s bright orange floor tiles in our new house. Had a quote to get it cleaned up but way out of our budget so decided to have a crack at DIY. Took it from this:

Ns0fQmt.jpg

To this:

DhKPYkw.jpg

However whilst it looks good overall, once you get close and look at individual tiles they still have a fair bit of ground in dirt, and I'd like to get this removed before I go on to sealing the floor. Example:

09MjwGZ.jpg

Tile is perfectly smooth to the touch (apart from that sadly cracked one, RIP!). I've been using "Lithofin KF Tile Restorer" which has done a decent job overall but can't seem to get me to the next stage where I want to be. Is there a better product I could be using, a better application method, or do I need to be looking at floor polisher hire/purchase? If so, what advice on products/pads for those (never used one)

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and advice,
Tom.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Nice job of getting them cleaned up, what’s left I would call character.

OP
T

Tile Shop

First off, good job so far. Hate to see lovely floors like that get covered and neglected.

You may find a light acid wash will even the colour and remove some of the staining. Something like the Lithofin Cement Residue Remover. Diluted about 1:8ish, mop it over, give it a good scrub and rinse.

Our resident Lithofin chappy @Lithofin BOB will castrate me or anyone who does not mention, do a small inconspicuous test area first and avoid contact with metal.... and keep the area well ventilated.

If the black specks are excess bitumen from the vinyl tiles, you may find a product like the LTP Solvex will help.

Once cleaned as best as possible, give it a seal with the Lithofin Stain Stop or the LTP Mattstone.

Don't expect any miracles though. Based on what was over it, you may have already reached the limit of what is achievable but the above may help take some of the ground-in grimeyness away.

Best of luck :)

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Great work on the restoration so far :clapping:

@Paul C. has pretty much given you the advice you need or pointed you in the direction of the chap who can but i can't help but agree with @impish & @Boggs as it currently is :)

OP
G

GoneGuy

Good work, and as mentioned like it is now gives it character and everyone who sees it will know it’s original

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The odd speck or crack is to be expected with a floor of this age...........don’t try and get them looking brand new/magazine finish..........or you could make a right mess of it.

Once sealed, they will look the Biz ;)

OP
C

Concrete guy

These tiles can be mechanically polished (actually you can grind off the top 0.5mm to 1mm and refinish them) but I think it starts to look unnatural and a bit fake.

Like other respondents I'd be very happy with what you've done so far, maybe try some of the suggested chemicals but leave it there.

It's a main entrance and it's going to get used and grubby, particularly in winter so just enjoy it for what it is, a floor that looks attractive despite being close to a century old.

Reaction score
Wow I wish I’d found that under my old kitchen floor tiles. What a difference a few years makes when it comes to build quality

Reply to Edwardian Floor - deep set ground in dirt in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock