Discuss Edge options for galaxy granite in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Daryn81

Hi all, I’ve got 8sqm of galaxy granite for a wet area in my barber shop. What are my options for the edging and do I need anything to edge where the floor will meet the wall and things like that, since it’s only a small area and a business I was wanting it as fancy as possible within a realistic budget, I will pick and supply these things to a tiler to do the job professionally, many thanks in advance.

B

Bill

Is the wet area going to be walls or floors as I wouldn't recommend polished granite in a commercial wet floor area.

D

Daryn81

Small back wall and small area of floor about 1m x 3m where the wash basin unit is in the corner and till/reception on other side. It’s hardly ever used now as a wash area tbh but we need to keep it in case the trend picks back up obv. Can I ask the problems with polished granite for the floor in commercial wet are? And many thanks for the replies everyone

D

Daryn81

It only ever gets the odd splash of water on the floor. It’s more the wall that gets splashed from rinsing hair in the basin so it’s hohnestly not really a wet area as such and more a splash back but thought it would look better with the small floor area tiled to match. Had a look at the schluters stuff but think I’d need some help before ordering. The wall will be tiled about 2/3 of the way up above the basin so it’s a top edge I need, any links to what I’m looking for would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Daryn.

T

Tile Shop

not really a wet area as such

HSE would not agree. There is potential for a publicly used commercial floor area to get wet, which accidental or not, would pose a slip risk. You therefore need a PTV tested tile that has a value of 36+ in wet conditions. Polished and sealed granite tiles you will be looking (at a guess) at no more than 10-15 which is a very high risk of slipping. If someone hurts themselves (customers or staff) you would be sued to high heaven and would have no leg to stand on whatsoever.

Up to you. If you can afford the £# million claim if something does go wrong, crack on. But I wouldn't risk it.

D

Daryn81

Thanks, if I was just to tile the extra bit of wall as a splash back what tiles would go with the galaxy granite wall area and oak floor? Again many thanks for the info. My insurance firm has not mentioned anything about this so very greatfull, I’ll also contact the local council for any advice they might give before purchasing.

Reaction score
I think you just need any type of chrome trim to finish the top of the tile, on the half tiled wall, polished chrome will do the job.

W

WetSaw

What is the rest of the salon like? Are there any other metal fittings? Are they chrome, satin, brushed, polished? I think it would look better to try and tie it in with your current style.

Reply to Edge options for galaxy granite in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks