Discuss Drilling through 2 layers of tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Oldtax

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have tried to search for the answer but no luck as of yet

We have recently moved into a property and the previous owner has tiled over the old wall tiles in the bathroom. I'd like to fit a glass screen for the bath/shower (not just because the feel of the cold shower curtain on my wet skin creeps me out!) I'm worried that I might unwittingly crack the tile underneath and that this might risk the screen falling off under the weight of it all. Should I be worried?

There is also one small section of wall where they didn't over tile. This is a stud wall with one layer of different tiles and a radiator. Do you think it is unwise to tile over these? I'm thinking it might be better to remove the plaster board and start over again.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon

O

Old Mod

As long as you don’t have your drill set to hammer, you shouldn’t have any problems drilling two layers of tiles. Keep cool with a wet sponge.

If you have already have your doubts about Tiling over tiles, then you shouldn’t.
Tiling over existing tiles will never be best practice, however there will be instances where it’ll be ok to do so.
With a stud wall however, these opportunities will be rare.

W

Waluigi

When using your rawl plugs, try to push them beyond the tiles before screwing.

If that isn’t possible as you don’t think you’ll get a good enough fixing then please make sure your screws aren’t too thick so that the plug expands and cracks a tile.

Fit your shower screen profile with clear silicone. Clear actually bonds better than white. Dow Corning is probably the most common good brand to use.

Reply to Drilling through 2 layers of tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks