Discuss drilling ceramics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

markb

hi there, could anyone give me advice on drilling into ceramic tiles. need to put up towel holder etc, do i just use a normal drill. thanks.

G

Gazzer

Yeah that would do, better with a spear head drill but not nescessary. Slow speed and NO hammer action.

D

Deleted member 1779

Exactly right.

Ceramic is a very soft material. Break the glaze on the tile surface and the job is done. A bit of masking tape on the tile to stop it slipping.

You will need a basic tile drill which cost a few pound and are carbide steel.

Where our kit has a part to play is on more exotic stone like granite, porcelain, travertine, granite, slate, marble.

We produce commercial diamond drills to cut the very hardest materials out there. But of course the equipment upgrades come at a price.

Heres a couple of little projects on ceramics.

Project One

Project Two

These show other post readers what can be achieved with diamond drills in ceramics.

Dsc07744.jpg

Our equipment is possibly too expensive for those who only have a few holes in ceramic tiles.

But for any other post readers who require the need to drill multiple holes into ceramic tiles with diamond crowns or holesaws then we can oblige. People like full time tilers, plumbers, builders and professionals.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My tip for drilling grade 5 porcies is:

1. Mark the tile
2. Rotozip to make a depression
3. use a small (eg 2mm) tile bit as these gets through in no time
4. then use 6mm bit or whatever you need

Cuts drilling time down by loads.

D

Deleted member 1779

If you dont have access to the Rotozip (a basic 240v unit is £144.89 source TT)

Then for £29.99 we have 6mm drills which can be used with any hand drill.

kit6mm3.jpg

£29.99 gets you a pack of FOUR core drills but also the anti-slip yellow guide plate critical for accurate drilling on those expensive porcelains !

drilling_a_tile.jpg

Use the cores with a standard battery hand drill.

sponge4.jpg

Also a wet sponge held under the diamond holesaw will cool it, maintain optimum lifespan of the core and eliminate dust exposure for the installer.

drilling_tiles.jpg

Perfect results !

M

mikethetile

I use a spear bit on ceramics and the advise given above is correct ie a square of tape to stop skidding

but take care with the plug, the head of the plug is wider than the hole so when srewing in you can crack the tile

so for a no5 plug[red] I use a 7mm bit and for a no 8 plug [brown] I use a 10mm bit and so on, this is just through the tile , once the tiles drilled I switch to the correct bit for the plug to drill the wall

D

Deleted member 1779

If you are a pro tiler then the BFKMX contains sizes for 6mm and 8mm so you can use them on ceramics. But the best thing is the kit contains the service pipe sizes.

rawl_plug.jpg

Yes of course the kit drills perfect holes for rawl plugs.

Dsc07745.jpg

You could use the spear points shown above left. But diamonds are more efficient

Dsc07746.jpg

Here you can see the hole formed perfectly.

Dsc07748.jpg

Just slip your plug in.

Dsc07750.jpg

Job done !

kit2.jpg

The 6mm and 8mm form part of the kit.

Dsc07724.jpg

And the plus is that they cut the holes for service pipes like the shower head above.

"All in one"

J

jwatson

for ceramic i always use a normal masonry bit for towel rails ect, and i have never cracked a single tile yet. my method is to mark the tile where hole is to be drilled. select hammer drill and simply mark the tile on hammer by drilling for a second. take hammer drill off and continue to drill hole. the bit will simply follow the mark you have made.
a steady hand is needed

D

diamondtiling

for ceramic i always use a normal masonry bit for towel rails ect, and i have never cracked a single tile yet. my method is to mark the tile where hole is to be drilled. select hammer drill and simply mark the tile on hammer by drilling for a second. take hammer drill off and continue to drill hole. the bit will simply follow the mark you have made.
a steady hand is needed

noy very good advice there j, hammer drill is not recommended at all.

:oops:

J

jwatson

i know, i know very naughty, :tt2: riskey without practice
but has never failed for me on ceramic.

i am ashamed for posting that do it the propper way guys:smilewinkgrin:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to turn the chuck a few times with my hand which scores ceramics enough to drill slowly. Never on hammer though.

S

Scott

Dewalt extreme masonry bits have a really small point on them that marks the tiles perfectly. Alas no good on anything harder though

Reply to drilling ceramics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks