Discuss Dot and dab onto bare block in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I've taken a wall back to the brick/blockwork and want to dot and dab moisture resistant plasterboard.
What kind of prep should l do on the wall prior to dot and dabbing? Wire brush it, seal it with anything.

Once l've put up the plasterboard, prior to tiling, do l need to apply any kind of sealer to the board, and should l scrim and fill any joints first.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

DSC_1986.JPG

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Either sbr the wall or pva before dot and dabbing , it’s mainly to kill the dust and suction so the adhesive sticks.
If it’s a wet area you can tank the board and tile,
If it’s not a wet area you can prime it and tile it , I would use a prime grit like tile master prime grip, the moisture boards have a coating on them.
Plasterers have to blue grit before skimming them as well

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. It's the wall that the bath tub is going onto. Would the prime grip onto the plasterboard be sufficient?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply. It's the wall that the bath tub is going onto. Would the prime grip onto the plasterboard be sufficient?
All depends, is it a shower as well ? Some would want to tank it if it was just a sink on the wall as they call it belt and braces , so the tanking is up to you, it’s in the British standards I believe to tank all wet areas, me personally I tank all tank wetrooms and the odd shower area if the customer will pay for it , so it’s entirely up to you .

Reaction score
No, it's only a bath going there, so perhaps tanking is a bit extreme. But belt and braces approach is also piece of mind. If l do tank that wall, can l tile straight onto that or do l still need to prime grip it over the tanking?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting point about prime and grip wilder. Are there any risks in not using the grit type primer and just using regular like primer g when tiling in mr board? I have to tile a bathroom in the next few weeks that has all been mr boarded too, even in non wet areas. Wet area (shower over bath) will all be tanked with time master tanking kit

W

Waluigi

I don’t use MR Board in wet areas personally. In fact I never specify it in bathrooms at all. Unless for whatever reason I’m doing a tapered edge ceiling.

Tanking above a Bath that is used solely for bathing needs no more than a foot of tanking from the top of the Bath but sometimes the function of a Bath is altered to have a shower so then it would need full tanking if this is planned.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting point about prime and grip wilder. Are there any risks in not using the grit type primer and just using regular like primer g when tiling in mr board? I have to tile a bathroom in the next few weeks that has all been mr boarded too, even in non wet areas. Wet area (shower over bath) will all be tanked with time master tanking kit
Sorry for late reply, been on the beer all day yesterday ., i think you can just prime the board, plasterers used to pva then skim long before blue grit came along , so yes priming should be fine.
Ive no idea why anyone would tank a bath area, daftest thing ever ive ever heard and a complete waste of time and money, even £50 for a tanking kit is a lot of money for some people .
How wet is the wall going to get , even if you danced in a bath full of water flashdance style for 12 months the wall wouldnt get wet through.
But you guys who do it, carry on if it makes you feel special and better than others :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Haha waligi loves that disagree button, god i would love to see you in real life just to see if you really are that much of a yes boy :) bet the teachers loved him at school ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

@widler - I could have clicked the ‘disagree’ icon but that would just be annoying!
IMHO it was the 70s but I’am a 50s child so formative youth was 1970- 1976. Great music (Sweet, Mud, Queen) great fashion( flares, kipper ties, mullets) and continental holidays 10 nights for £38.00!
What was better than that?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
John, I agree the 70s were great too, but I was a bit young , so the 80s were brilliant for me , magaluf and Ibiza were the only places to be , no flares , not much glamour rock , just rock :) and I had my 1st ,erm , encounter in the early 80s ;)

Reply to Dot and dab onto bare block in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks