Discuss Dot and dab court case in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Donna Borrill

Hello. I wonder if anyone can help please. I have had my kitchen floor tiled and it has become obvious that the tiler, although I paid a fair amount of money for him, has used the dot and dab method. This was discovered after a couple of holes were made after dropping relatively light items on the floor. After lots of internet searching, as I know nothing about tiling, it seems this is not a good method, and against British Standards. The tiler refused to re-tile the floor so I am going through the very nerve racking process of taking him to court. Tomorrow is my phone call between the tiler and a mediator. Although I know a British Standard exists, I have no idea what it states, and feel this would be a great help. Can anyone out there help me? Many thanks.

OP
R

Rookery

Yes, dot n dabbing or spot fixing is quite common but frowned upon. All floor tiling should be completed with100% adhesive coverage under the tile. BS5385 refers.

OP
F

Flintstone

100% is the aim but it’s not always achieved, but dot and dabbing is a really bad method, unfortunately there’s a lot of people who don’t know better.

OP
S

Spare Tool

Sounds like you've given the guy every opportunity to put things right Donna...take him to the cleaners and hopefully it'll be a lesson and he wont go ruining anybody else's floor in the future.

OP
D

Donna Borrill

Ah, thanks all of you. Not looking forward to this but appreciate your help :)

OP
S

Spare Tool

Good luck, there won't be a tiler on here that's never had to pack a tile up here and there but no excuse for the whole thing to be dot and dabbed, would there have been money in the budget for self leveling and a bit of extra prep work if your tiler had brought the issue up in the first place?

OP
O

On one

If I was you..... (From the mediation)I would accept nothing less than a full retile at the original tilers expense. The tiler knows he is in the wrong,so don't be fobbed off from going to the small claims court.

OP
D

Donna Borrill

Absolutely, but he never let me know the floor was uneven. I actually don't think it was, but after having a lot of my house renovated, that was the last thing to be done, so wouldn't have compromised if it had been brought to my attention. Every tile has been laid in this way.

OP
S

Spare Tool

Absolutely, but he never let me know the floor was uneven. I actually don't think it was, but after having a lot of my house renovated, that was the last thing to be done, so wouldn't have compromised if it had been brought to my attention. Every tile has been laid in this way.
Ah no excuses then, let us know the outcome..

OP
L

LM

Just a point perhaps worth mentioning incase his defence use it against you if you bring it up, BS standards are only a guideline they are not the law. I feel for you however and at the very least this guy needs outed as you've tried to be reasonable with him and he's been an *** about it.

OP
O

One Day

OP
D

Donna Borrill

Yep I realise that even if I win, that's just the start and I've still got to pursue the money, but even at £5 a week forever, I could buy a bottle of wine and drink to his health every week remembering not to get so drunk I drop the glass on my dodgy floor and make another hole. Every cloud...... ;) I'll post how it goes.

OP
P

Perry

I have been to a court case as a expert witness. And that was against a tiler that was sticking the tiles up with bonding plaster and readymix adhesive. I dont think he would of won without one, a policeman. Not sure if he ever got paid.

OP
D

Donna Borrill

Hello all who helped me. So my telephone appointment with the mediator went well. The tiler has agreed to pay back the money I paid him for his work and pay back the money I spent on the tiles. He is coming back to remove the tiles which he laid incorrectly, get rid of them and leave my floor as he found it. So, 6 months later, I'll be back to square one, no tiles and a bare floor, but not out of pocket. I'm very relieved that I don't have to go to court. Thank you so much again :) Donna

OP
L

LM

Donna that is a huge win for you and maybe you don’t think it is, but truly it is. If the world was fair then you’d have been compensated for your troubles also. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be fair. In this durastiction what you’ve just got is a big plus. I’ve seen worse cases end up resulting worse for the victim .

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Hello all who helped me. So my telephone appointment with the mediator went well. The tiler has agreed to pay back the money I paid him for his work and pay back the money I spent on the tiles. He is coming back to remove the tiles which he laid incorrectly, get rid of them and leave my floor as he found it. So, 6 months later, I'll be back to square one, no tiles and a bare floor, but not out of pocket. I'm very relieved that I don't have to go to court. Thank you so much again :) Donna
Have a look on here at find a tiler, that way you will find a reputable one in your area who will give you the job done right.

OP
M

Mod

Unfortunately ive seen plenty of dot and dab floors. But as someone said im not sure you could sue someone for it. Its a shame but it goes on all the time.

OP
D

Dumbo

Unfortunately ive seen plenty of dot and dab floors. But as someone said im not sure you could sue someone for it. Its a shame but it goes on all the time.
If a job is failing and you can point directly to the problem then I don't see why not . But if you had a dot and Dab floor and it isn't failing I doubt you can

OP
D

Dumbo

Does public liability insurance not cover this?

Thanks
I would imagine not . Insurance companies don't like paying out at best. But I am pretty sure they won't cover somebodies work that is failing if they have used bad practice for taken insufficint care .

OP
K

Kent22

I’m going to try this route, I will let you all know.

Seems pointless having these insurances if that’s the case.

Thanks

OP
D

Dumbo

I’m going to try this route, I will let you all know.

Seems pointless having these insurances if that’s the case.

Thanks
I think you will struggle with any claim against anybody as you have removed the floor .

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
This story reminds me of "MR Blobby"
Mr Blobby.png

He thought it was better to blob than level the floor first. lol.

Reply to Dot and dab court case in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer