Discuss Dot and dab 600x300 porcelain tiles in shower with readymix in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi

Please could you asvise me if using readymix and dot and dab method for large porcelain is good practice on walls in a shower area?

I paid a tiler I found on one of the tradesmen search sites to do a small job in my bathroom. He didn’t come to see the job first but when he arrived wasn’t happy that the walls were not smooth. He mostly used dot and dab which was thick in many areas. I came to grout a few days later and the tiles were sliding about. I removed a couple and the adhesive was still soaking wet.

I’m certainly no expert or in the trade so I looked on the internet and seems ready mix isn’t suitable for 600x300 porcelain tiles (some posts say it may never actually set as needs air to dry) so I ended up removing almost all the tiles and doing it myself with a cement based powder mix. I managed to get a decent bed on most of the tiles and they are solid after a day.

I’m concerned that kids could have been in the bath / shower with these big tiles just stuck on with a few blobs of readymix.

Thanks

50C02B33-8A88-4B52-961B-F1766CF8B0A1.jpeg B80DB9AC-F98D-465C-BE2E-266CE5E8B96D.jpeg D6A4E579-827F-467E-A74E-C4DCFA3E16D0.jpeg 26753A89-5BED-4941-84C4-0FA739E05518.jpeg 383CF020-27EE-4DE0-982D-6A7DAC439152.jpeg

Reaction score
That’s one of the worst I’ve seen on here. You know it is not right. Must be cement based and must be as close to 100% coverage as possible. No dabs.

Thanks for replying. I wanted to get professionals opinion before I give him feedback on the job. Your reply is very helpful and confirms what I suspected. Happy new year

Reaction score
Feedback? You want your money back!

I asked for it a couple of days after he did the job in December. He can’t afford to pay me until January so I’ve basically written the money off and given him the feedback on the site today. I’ll see if he pays me anything. First and last time I use one of those sites to ask for trades people. Tiler Ive used in the past moved to Australia so we didn’t know anyone. Wish i had found this site sooner.

D

Dumbo

I asked for it a couple of days after he did the job in December. He can’t afford to pay me until January so I’ve basically written the money off and given him the feedback on the site today. I’ll see if he pays me anything. First and last time I use one of those sites to ask for trades people. Tiler Ive used in the past moved to Australia so we didn’t know anyone. Wish i had found this site sooner.
What site was it that you used .

Q

Qwerty

As others have said, it's shocking. I hope you get it sorted. Have you finished the work yourself now?

I

Italy

Oops, I saw the photos just now ...
I'm so sorry...
but now I have more photos to add to my collection,
of horrors.

Reaction score
As others have said, it's shocking. I hope you get it sorted. Have you finished the work yourself now?
Hi

Yes I got it finished thanks. I took off most of the tiles, scraped off the wet adhesive from the wall and tiles then re did them all with cement based adhesive. I didn’t get a perfect finish but at least they are on properly and set solid in a few hrs.

D

Dumbo

Hi

Yes I got it finished thanks. I took off most of the tiles, scraped off the wet adhesive from the wall and tiles then re did them all with cement based adhesive. I didn’t get a perfect finish but at least they are on properly and set solid in a few hrs.
What site did you use

Reaction score
That's terrifying dingleing, thank goodness you were able to rectify the job. Reminds me of a customer who bought enormous porcelain tiles off the internet and wanted his bathroom walls done. When I removed the previous tiles I found skimmed plasterboard, useless. The customer baulked at the cost of replacing the lot with proper backing board until I explained that if one of these tiles came off when his kids were in the bath it would probably kill them. If he had stuck to his guns I would have walked off the job.

Reply to Dot and dab 600x300 porcelain tiles in shower with readymix in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damian
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks