Discuss Does this edging strip look ok? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

cookie

ED3EEA5B-8117-42E2-A09B-F2FD2F06CFAD.jpeg
300867FB-22A6-432D-8DD8-46C813B91067.jpeg
7C94AB2B-C989-439C-8043-A39C3B722F3D.jpeg
BF8F8E96-8097-4C68-A382-56A5F87B65C5.jpeg
Hello everyone. My tiler is fitting bevelled edge metro tiles in my kitchen. I’ve chosen a white gloss pvc quadrant tile trim to match. The outer corner joins don’t look very neat at the moment though and I’m a bit concerned that we should be using corner pieces for a neater finish. I did bring it up this morning but he said the corner join pieces are for DIYers and a professional wouldn’t use them, choosing to mitre and file the rough edges instead. He insists they will look smart when finished but I’m not sure. I’m happy to be wrong! But tomorrow is his last day and I want to make sure everything is definitely going to work out before he does the grouting and it’s too late to make changes. If anyone has a professional opinion that would be great. Thank you! 179A96D7-BC70-4A08-8F6E-8B4062F5BE63.jpeg

G

GoneGuy

That’s is definatly not a professional finish.
The pvc trim should be 3 way mitre but if he is not confident he should at least use a colour matched corner piece.
It sounds like he’s hoping the grout will cover up most of the bad work.
Plus in picture 3 the tile is not set straight

D

Deleted member 49260

I'm a DIYer and I can do better than that, it's all over the shop - will look heaps better grouted but still carp.

C

cookie

Thank you for your replies. Would it be difficult to remove these edging strips so that he can replace them with new ones with joining pieces? I'm just wondering what the best thing to ask him to do in the morning is.

O

On one

If he has used tubbed ready mixed adhesive he can remove the tiles and trims and re-do it quite easily.......whether he wants to is a different matter......coz if he thinks that quality of work is ok? mmmmm

C

cookie

He has used a tub of BAL tile adhesive for walls. I'm assuming that's ready mixed. So would the tiles on the edge need to be removed also or just the trim?

C

cookie

45802AA3-3773-43D5-A90B-2E7145C4E86A.jpeg
256330FD-6F2B-4DC5-A4AD-7E5A7092558C.jpeg
Having another look there is also a significant overhand of the trim on the window sill. Is this normal? I’m not sure what’s gone wrong here at all!

F

Flintstone

Cookie - it’s a poor job all round and I can’t see it getting any better tomorrow!

Adey - I’ve seen them before a few times, I’m not really a fan of the 3 way mitre, I avoid those rounded trims at all costs, there very dated and offensive. I prefer the top two mitred and the bottom one cut straight if I must use them.

C

cookie

Does anyone have any advice on what I can ask him to do differently to resolve the issues without removing everything and starting again?

D

Deleted member 49260

Cookie - it’s a poor job all round and I can’t see it getting any better tomorrow!

Adey - I’ve seen them before a few times, I’m not really a fan of the 3 way mitre, I avoid those rounded trims at all costs, there very dated and offensive. I prefer the top two mitred and the bottom one cut straight if I must use them.

I'd second the idea of a 2 way and the 3rd trim cut square to butt up but I don't think the vertical trim is the correct one as it looks wrong in picture 4?
Oh hang on, post #8 of the overhang issue would seem to indicate the trim is too thick for the tiles so won't play nicely up a corner to a cill.

C

cookie

Hi Neil, the tiles are 7mm and the trim says 8mm. But the overhang on the window sill is much more than an extra 1mm.

Reply to Does this edging strip look ok? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks