Discuss Does aqua board need priming in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
morning all, just a quick question.. does anyone have any experience using aqua board, a tile board that I think Wickes stock?? Does it need priming before tiling?? Regards, Stu.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Priming with a diluted primer will help in keeping the surface dust free and will enable a better bond, even tho Aquapanel do not stipulate priming.

Be aware that Aquapanel is NOT waterproof, in their words, it’s 100% water RESISTANT, wet areas should still be tanked.

Here’s their product info and install manual pdf.

https://www.aquapanel.com/fileadmin...New_Material/KAQ_ACBIndoor_Brochure_EN_LR.pdf

Sorry but always prime Aquapanel, see point 7 of installation.

O

Old Mod

Sorry but always prime Aquapanel, see point 7 of installation.
Thatll teach me to scan documents.
Thank you.
It’s not a product I would ever use tho.

But in my weak defence, this is guide I read.

EC57C61D-0190-4506-8041-C9172894EEA2.jpeg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thatll teach me to scan documents.
Thank you.
It’s not a product I would ever use tho.

But in my weak defence, this is guide I read.

View attachment 100483

I only read through instructions as I have to use it in a couple of weeks, client works for building merchants so wants to supply his own materials.
I have never used it and you mentioned it’s not a product you would use, have you had a bad experience with it before.

jobdone

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
It's a pain to cut and screw to the joists.
It's very brittle.
Light weight foam core boards are much easier to use and are water proof when joints are sealed correctly.

O

Old Mod

I only read through instructions as I have to use it in a couple of weeks, client works for building merchants so wants to supply his own materials.
I have never used it and you mentioned it’s not a product you would use, have you had a bad experience with it before.

Well @jobdone has pretty much covered it above.

First point being, why use a product that needs tanking when there are plenty about that do not, well to the extent that Aquapanel does.
Long as you tape the transitions, joints and any mechanical fixings you have a perfectly watertight install using any of the wedi style boards.
With Aquapanel you have to follow all of their specific instructions and you still don’t have a truly waterproofed area.
It’s a cement board, they’re brittle and damage easily.
In dry areas, I’d use it if I had been supplied it, but wouldn’t trust it in wet areas unless it was fully tanked.
The only advantage it has over plasterboard is that it won’t break down if submerged.

If you do use it, make sure the correct face is outward. It’s sided, unlike most every other board.

I’ve had a bad experience in as much as it was so poorly installed for me that it was virtually useless.
I had to fix mosaic to it. :eek:

This was all the extra work involved before I could install mosaic to it.

A9902B37-193E-49A1-945C-AC78CD6FF4CB.jpeg F964E485-FF72-471E-A399-6A410ADD3376.jpeg ADDCAF5B-DEB4-4A82-8302-2EEE9233F229.jpeg 3368F58A-B998-49E5-BF56-C182770E73EC.jpeg 0C43D6CF-4C7D-48A5-88D1-6F2B0FA246A5.jpeg FD7F1039-3B3A-41FB-9851-02F038BDCF6E.jpeg

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What did they use to cut it with!!!
Always thought it looked a bit crumbly in Wickes.
Think I will use the plunge saw to get a good finish.

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies. It was supplied by the customer and installed by another trade before I started. I am concerned a little now though as I’m looking at 3_fall’s pics and seeing the labelled side as the surface to be tiled? I’m pretty sure that’s the smoothest side? Whoever installed the board here has the textured side facing out to be tiled! Oh well, what can you do!

O

Old Mod

Get it changed. If they’re responsible for prep, they have to do it right or pay you to put it right.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Any pictures I can find show them fitted label out so I would definitely get it changed round.

W

Waluigi

give Knauf a call and ask them. It’s usually Smooth side out.

However the website suggests:-

Normally the 'smooth' side.

In most situations, the 'smooth' face of the AQUAPANEL® is the side we would recommend tiling onto. AQUAPANEL® is suitable for supporting tiles up to 50kg/m2

Reply to Does aqua board need priming in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks