Discuss Does a sand and cement wall need tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stuart Williams

I've had a search and can't find the answer probably because it's obvious but want to check anyway.

Stripped the old downstairs wet room and removed all the plaster as it was damaged back to the sand and cement coat. After leveling the floor I'll be installing a tray and screen.

My question is, I've been given tanking solution to paint on by a mate, do i actually need to paint the two walls the shower is going on? I'm tiling straight onto the sand and cement coat with a cement based adhesive and grout and a coat of SPD primer.

Best image I could find attached, you can make out the corner.

IMG_20170311_163943930.jpg

L

LM

Yes same as above, it looks like a gypsum finish coat which is moisture sensitive, so it defenitly needs primed and tanked.

S

Stuart Williams

Quick update, I'm ready to start tiling. With the tanking solution is it a case of painting it straight onto the cement first then tiling on top, or do I need to do anything before tanking? I'm assuming g I don't need to SPD over the tanking before tiling. Cheers

IMG-20170605-WA0001.jpg

D

Dumbo

Follow the instructions that come with the tanking but I expect it will say to prime the wall prior to tanking . Also I have not found a tanking kit yet that requires priming before tiling and I like to prime most substrates .

Reply to Does a sand and cement wall need tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks