Discuss Do I need to seal unglazed PEI 5 porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I think I have decided on my tile for an outdoor but mostly dry space protected on 3 sides but can have rain blown in - see picture. The tiles are PEI rating of 5 this full bodied porcelain and come unglazed. I then start reading about stains and sealing and start to doubt my choice (haven't got them yet ) the fella in the store says I do not need to seal, they are these . I have brought a couple to test and have a range of stuff on them to see if they do stain.
The yellow line marks the extent of the roof coverage

P10874.jpg P1000878.jpg P1000884.jpg

Last edited:

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok I have come back to answer my own question but would still appreciate an experts view.
I have done some tests with grass,coffee,oil(olive) sharpie pen, biro, vinegar, and left it on for 18 hours. And none it has left any mark whatsoever. I am also ding a water absorption test and so far after 18 hours there has been no gain in the 108g starting sample weight

View attachment 98669

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your tiles are probably glazed porcelain and do not require sealing.

The only porcelain tiles you need to seal are polished porcelain tiles.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
These are the ones
The second slideshow picture on the page says
  • Porcelain Floor Tiles
    Perfect for areas of increased footfall, these hard wearing unglazed porcelain floor tiles will stand the test of time.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Just seen that my picture was not there with my test tile, here it is. I put a few drops of water on it and then added instant coffe very strong.

P1000888.jpg P1000889.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I must be missing something, cant see anything that says the tiles are unglazed, just full body porcelain..

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Good test, haven't heard of any external grade porc that requires impregnating. Maintain only

Check your grout release on install, on a spare tile maybe, with the extra texture. a lot of the external boys are using bal temp sealer if they have problems to aid release.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok thats the end of the water absorption test because after 24 hours I want my pint glass back.
Result - no weight gain.
2nd result - beer for me

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok I have now done a grout test and that is fine, infact nothing seems to stick to this tile, I do actually need something to stick to it - namely adhesive. So I have done a grout test on the back and that is a lot more difficult to get off. Picture attached. The tiles are marked on the back Made in Turkey - is that good ?

P1000891.jpg

Reply to Do I need to seal unglazed PEI 5 porcelain in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks