Discuss Do I need to back-butter my tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

White Room

I would probably use a bigger trowel if the walls arnt to flat but would back skim the tiles to fill the profile

D

doug boardley

Thanks for all your input.

As its a shower room the floor will be getting wet regularly, so from your info I will need a solid bed under the 300x300 tiles going on the floor. I will get a solid bed trowel.

Now with the 600x300 wall tiles I take it I will be ok with a 10mm square notch trowel with adhesive only on the wall, no back buttering on the tile. Correct? If it makes any difference there is a sort of profiling of small squares on the back of the tile. What I am trying to say is that its not smooth!

Thanks very much for your help. Si
I'd back skim them Si:thumbsup:

E

essexsi

Thank you all for your input. Very much appreciated!:thumbsup:

The walls have been skimmed, lovely and flat so no excuses!

So 10mm square notch to spread on the wall should be ok, and then back skim the back of the tiles just to fill the profile. Is that just to build the sunken areas level with the rest, or should the skim be over the back of the whole tile?

Sorry to ask more, but when putting the big tile on the wall how much pressure should I put on it to bed it in. If spreading 10mm on the walls, should this be pushed down to about 5mm or more? I don't need a rubber hammer for it do I !!!!

Thanks for your time and help. Si

W

White Room

Just to fill the whole of the tile profile which should give more a solid bed behind the tile, check the tile by putting one on and pushing and perhaps sliding slightly to one side and then taking off to give some idea how much coveridge there is on the tile.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if you weren't getting 100% coverage with a 10mm trowel anyway, if the wall is as flat as you say. ;)

B

Bolter

Thank you all for your input. Very much appreciated!:thumbsup:

The walls have been skimmed, lovely and flat so no excuses!

So 10mm square notch to spread on the wall should be ok, and then back skim the back of the tiles just to fill the profile. Is that just to build the sunken areas level with the rest, or should the skim be over the back of the whole tile?

Sorry to ask more, but when putting the big tile on the wall how much pressure should I put on it to bed it in. If spreading 10mm on the walls, should this be pushed down to about 5mm or more? I don't need a rubber hammer for it do I !!!!

Thanks for your time and help. Si

Walls are skimmed with what? Have you checked it can hold the weights you want to put on it?

Tiles and Adhesive Weight Per Square Metre - THE TILE SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator:
E

essexsi

Thanks for all your input.

Thanks for the link bolter, another thing to worry about!! It was skimmed with finishing plaster as underneath the old tiles was browning plaster on breeze block.

The tiles are 600x300 ceramic and at a guess are 0.8mm thick, I will have to check tomorrow. With a 10mm adhesive bed that takes me over the 20kg weight limit by my calculations. Oh bugger!

How do you get that below the limit though? Surely one 600x300 tile is the same as two 300x300?!? Is it all to do with the adhesive thickness?!

cheers Si

beanz

TF
Reaction score
8mm ceramic will be fine. Your bed won't be 10mm, that's just your trowel size. Once you've pushed the tile home, it'll be about 3mm i imagine. ;)

E

essexsi

Thanks beanz. Appreciate that. I'm easily confused at the moment, I have read everything to do with tiling but it just gets muddled up!!!

Just to confirm, checked today and the tiles are 8mm thick.
Do you think I will be OK with 600x300 ceramic, 8m thick with a 10mm square notch trowel, pushed down to 3mm?
Does tanking affect the weight at all?

Thanks for all your help!:thumbsup: Si

Last edited by a moderator:

beanz

TF
Reaction score
I've no idea on weights for tanking membrane's, but everything you hang on the wall needs to be taken into account. "Usually" any tiles under 9mm thick should be fine weight wise, and i can't imagine 1m of membrane making much difference to be honest. ;)

E

essexsi

Thanks for your time beanz.

Really put me off doing it when I went through to bolters link! You have reassured me a bit, but there is still a little doubt nagging. Sometimes its best not to know these things!!

This really has made me realise what goes into this tiling malarky!

All the best Si

beanz

TF
Reaction score
No worries mate. ;)

In all honesty there are a lot of tilers out there that have absolutely no idea about max weights for different substrates, so i wouldn't sweat it too much. :D

E

essexsi

Cheers chap.:thumbsup:
I have found this forum to be very friendly and extremely helpful. Not so helpful that someone has offered to come round and do it for me though!!

Cheers Si

S

smurf21

For a large format tile like the one you have i would still back skim the wall tile..but after putting one or two on just pull a tile of and see what coverage you have on the back of the tile this will tell you all you need to know..:thumbsup:

Reply to Do I need to back-butter my tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks