Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Do I need to attach a baton to tile correctly? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. diy_dude

diy_dude Active Member

I've noticed some tutorials for setting up, use a baton attached to the wall one tile space up from the bottom. Tile everything above, then the bottom row at the end.

(Some tutorials don't even bother with a baton, just start from the bottom)

My question is why do tilers use a baton? (What's it's purpose)

I was about to start tiling my kitchen this weekend (without a baton) but curious now as to why it's used and if I need to check something first which might indicate if I need to use it or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Main reason is floors are usually not level, so it's faster to work off a level datum and then cut to the floor afterwards.
    In a perfect world you could tile right up off the floor, but then there's this thing called "builders" who think they can screed and construct floors...:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. pdc

pdc Only a Handyman... Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

The baton is to give you a perfectly level surface to start from. Floors aren't always level so if you start with a full tile from a wonky floor you can end up with a whole world of problems. If your floor is perfectly flat and level and starting with a full tile doesn't leave you with a slither at the ceiling you can forget the baton.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wayne Brown

Wayne Brown Kop Professional Tiler

A kitchen you will probably be ok without a batten if its behind units the worktop should be level but please check because even a few mm out of level will throw you out over the length of the wall , bathrooms is where a batten comes in handy as you can tile and grout the majority of the room before fitting the bath or other sanitary ware just leaving the cut above the bath this minimises the risk of damage to the bath or shower tray etc like this one I am doing this week . Cheers Kop

20190226_154704.jpg 20190228_154613.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattB

MattB Active Member

Do you not usually tile a little way below the bath edge Kop?

6. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

I never use a Batton, I cut the bottom row in then work off that

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wayne Brown

No mate tile down onto the bath with a 2-3mm gap to allow for a neat silicone joint as below, obviously the bath is fixed and silicone in then filled with water when you finally silicone up . kop

20190228_154624.jpg IMG_20190313_120743.jpg IMG_20190313_120719.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattB

MattB Active Member

What's the green strip around the bath?

9. Wayne Brown

Low tack masking tape avoids scratching and peels away clean

• Like Like x 1
  10. MattB

MattB Active Member

Had you already done a strip of silicone around bth to fix to wall then taped up?

11. Wayne Brown

Yes mate the day before applied to the wall as well .kop

• Like Like x 1