Discuss DIY'er cutter recommendation in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

earlm

Apologies if this is done to death already, but I've had a search and cant find anything...

I'm going to be tiling my bathroom & ensuite in the coming weeks and need a cutter.

Tiles will be something like 300x500x10mm ceramics.

I was thinking of the Rubi Star Max 51 which is £90 in screwfix.

Is this up to the job, or is there something better / cheaper that would be a better buy?

I want something that will work and do the job well, but dont want to spend more than I need to.

Thanks.

F

Flintstone

Hello, I’m sure that cutter will do the straight cuts, but it won’t help you with l shape cuts and other cut outs, you will need something elrctric for that

R

Rookery

The Rubi Star would do but for a few extra quid a Big Clinker is a much better cutter. Do the few key cuts with a cheap wet saw circa £40, or a suitable blade in a grinder.

E

earlm

Thanks for the replies.

I'll go for the big clinker then if it's worth the investment.

I've got an angle grinder, any recommendations for a cutting disc?

F

Flintstone

Visit ats Diamond tools website, either a continuous rim blade for ceramics or the turbo blade If you end up with porcelain

O

Old Mod

Visit ats Diamond tools website, either a continuous rim blade for ceramics or the turbo blade If you end up with porcelain

See now I’d of said a turbo X from ATS, but then I’ve not touched a ceramic tile in probably 5 yrs now.
Have you tried one on ceramics Andy?

F

Flintstone

Yes and they do cut them like lightening, but they can chip the glaze a bit more than a continuous rim blade, depends on the finish of the tile, and if you use water or not

O

Old Mod

Yes and they do cut them like lightening, but they can chip the glaze a bit more than a continuous rim blade, depends on the finish of the tile, and if you use water or not
Think that could be said of any blade Andy tbh.
How you use a blade is as important as your choice.
Any design of blade can give a perfect cut if you use it in a manner that befits the material.
And even tho I’m an advocate of a grinder, because that’s all I ever use these days, for a one off bathroom for a diy’er, I think I’d always suggest a cheap table top wet cutter.
And with ceramics, the stock blade, may well be sufficient.
And if it’s not, you’ll be able to pick up something for less than £15 that will.
Small price for achieveing the result you always imagined you could attain as a diy’er.
Cos they’re only tiles, right? :D

Reply to DIY'er cutter recommendation in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks