Discuss DIY tiling advice please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hipposgobeserk

Hi everyone
I've had some tiles for a good 9 months lying around waiting to be put up by my husband in my new kitchen (just a splash back). Now 2/3 of my children are in school or pre school I was thinking of doing it myself as I am fairly diy competent, have some more time on my hands now and I am fed up of waiting.
Please could someone point me in the direction of a good clear explanation of how to do it for a complete novice?
TIA

H

hipposgobeserk

Hi
Yes
It's these (file attached) but I intend to tile them in a standard horizontal half brick way.
Thanks for your replies :)

R251.jpg

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OK cool........i would start a full tile from the work surface and try to keep the brick bond wrapping round the corners.
Sockets need to be loosened so you can tile behind them you may need to use extended socket screws to get them back and kill the power to them first.
If you have a hob it always looks best to centre the tiles between it as this is the main focal point.
Use a decent adhesive. Ready mixed is OK for a kitchen... Something like bal blue star or bal white star but use a powder mix grout.
on the window, if there is one, tile the face first then fit the trim and tile the reveals.
What tools do you have?

H

hipposgobeserk

I don't have a tile cutter yet if that's what you mean, can you recommend one? It's quite a fiddly area I'd say around the window. Would you suggest leaving the wooden sill or tiling it? I'll put up a photo.. Thank you for your help.

DSC_4743.JPG

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I don't have a tile cutter yet if that's what you mean, can you recommend one? It's quite a fiddly area I'd say around the window. Would you suggest leaving the wooden sill or tiling it? I'll put up a photo.. Thank you for your help.

View attachment 93548
Would probably leave the wooden cill but tile into the reveals on both sides.
Tools you need...
A tile cutter.... Would go for an electric wet cutter this way you can use it to go round the sockets.
Trowel.. ...6mm
Tile Spacers.. 2mm
Grout squeegee.
Sponge.
Small screwdriver for the sockets.

Tony73

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Would probably leave the wooden cill but tile into the reveals on both sides.
Tools you need...
A tile cutter.... Would go for an electric wet cutter this way you can use it to go round the sockets.
Trowel.. ...6mm
Tile Spacers.. 2mm
Grout squeegee.
Sponge.
Small screwdriver for the sockets.
spirit level, Makita radio( most important), pencil, pen, masking tape...:))

Reply to DIY tiling advice please in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks