Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss DIY Chip free wet saw in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
O

Old Mod

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Something like the 3c3m from @Pro Tiler Tools
And it will cut 11mm strips used correctly

Sigma 3C3M MAX Professional Tile Cutter 72cm | Buy Sigma Series 3 MAX Tile Cutters Online from Pro Tiler Tools - http://www.*******************/%3Chtml-%3E/35125/sigma-3c3m-max-professional-tile-cutter-72cm

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Score the cut line with your dry cutter before wet cutting. Doesn't guarantee chip free cuts but helps massively. Afterwards, give the edges a quick flick with a diamond polishing block.

OP
L

LM

I need to adjust the fence to do that and I'm worried that it'll be out and there may eve be a small step in the middle where the two meet. The cutter is mostly accurate, usually within 1mm, but there have been occasions where it wasn't so good.
So some how you’ve already attempted this to recognise this issue to be a problem? Mmmmmm

OP
T

TilingPeter

I got a Rubi blade which cost almost double the other blades I tried. The finish is very similar to what I had with the other blades. It's hard to tell the difference. I've ruled out the blades. An angle grinder will be the next step.

My scribe and snap cutter sometimes causes similar chipping too but it may be partly because it's had a lot of use.

OP
T

TilingPeter

You may well be pushing too hard on both machines.

I think you're probably right. With the scriber, it doesn't even scratch the tile if I don't push as hard, I do need to push quite firmly.

With the machine I think the friction could be the problem. It needs quite a bit of force to slide along the table. Any ideas how this friction could be reduced? At the moment I spray water over the back of the tile and table, but it doesn't help much. I suspect that oil/grease would soak into the tile and cause problems with https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.

OP
T

TilingPeter

If you are still using the fence that will add to friction.

Just tried without it and still similar. Although the friction isn't ideal it's probably not that that's causing the real problem.

I've attached a picture to give an idea of what it looks like. They aren't as big as I thought but certainly visible in the right light. Most of them are probably no more than 0.5mm, but some are around 1mm.

Chips.JPG

OP
T

TilingPeter

They’re your chipped cuts, yes?
They can be rectified very easily with a rubbing block.
Yes, is this quite normal for a wet saw? I've seen videos of cutters online and although the video quality is rarely good enough to see chips I do sometimes see similar chips. Is my angle grinder (with a good blade) likely to give a better finish?

I've been really struggling to rectify these with rubbing blocks. I find that the blocks create chips so I end up rubbing it forever.

OP
O

Old Mod

In my honest opinion, if you’re unable to cope with cuts of that standard, (although it’s still hard to comment without knowing or seeing the full scenario) I’d suggest you mark your cuts and get them water jet cut.
That is the only way to ensure perfection without a reasonable amount of practicle experience.
Extreme it may seem to be, but at the moment, so does your determination for perfection as a diy tiler. You must expect compromise with your experience level.
Although, I don’t think you’ve actually stated it’s diy, just not a one off job, referencing the rest of your home.

OP
T

TilingPeter

In my honest opinion, if you’re unable to cope with cuts of that standard, (although it’s still hard to comment without knowing or seeing the full scenario) I’d suggest you mark your cuts and get them water jet cut.
That is the only way to ensure perfection without a reasonable amount of practicle experience.
Extreme it may seem to be, but at the moment, so does your determination for perfection as a diy tiler. You must expect compromise with your experience level.
Although, I don’t think you’ve actually stated it’s diy, just not a one off job, referencing the rest of your home.

Water jet cutting sounds like a good idea. If I had known before then I would have probably done that, but it would be very costly and time consuming, especially if I need multiple trips. The nearest water jet cutter seems quite far away and it seems a bit extreme to cut a normal tile.

Once the tiles are on the wall they will be very hard to replace and I certainly don't want to be replacing anything for many years. I want a professional looking job.

I've come to the conclusion that the wet saw can't do completely chip free cuts for my particular tiles. If I wanted perfection, what would I need to do? Would I need to look at and/or experiment with the rubbing blocks?

I have managed to rub a small piece (about 1-2 inches) which is almost perfect but I suspect I would struggle to do it for 300-600mm.

OP
W

WetSaw

A colour matched grout rather than contrasting can help hide any small chips. Some tiles are almost impossible to cut without the glaze chipping.

Reaction score
You could always try cutting the tiles slightly over sized and then using diamond or carbide pads on a grinder to reduce to the size you want that way you will get a factory finish on the edges.

OP
J

JerryB

You mention the fence a lot. Worth checking its perfectly aligned with the blade, otherwise the result can feel like a lot of friction as the upward-moving part of the blade is rubbing against the tile. To set up, I use a long straight edge on the blade and align my tile cut line with that, then fix the fence against the edge of the tile. Doesnt work if cut line and edge are not parallel of course.

Reply to DIY Chip free wet saw in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock