Discuss Ditra over SLC over ply over ply in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Greg

(I know similar questions have been posted before but they're closed for follow up questions)
I have a 1930s house where I'm renovating the bathroom - a complete refit that includes removing all the squeaky, somewhat rotten (in places), but crucially not-level floorboards and replacing them with a 12mm ply sub-floor adjusted to make the floor as level as I can. Then glued and screwed (every 200mm) over that is 18mm marine ply. I'm planning to use the least SLC I can get away with, to minimise the size of a step into the bathroom. Then over that is a Schlüter DITRA uncoupling layer/membrane and then tile over that with 600mm sqare 10mm tiles.

The SLC is Ardex Arditex NA (powder & latex)

Am I correct to use minimal SLC?
Will the uncoupling layer protect the tiles if the SLC is thin and if not, what's a minimum thickness?

Have I forgotten anything?

H

hmtiling

(I know similar questions have been posted before but they're closed for follow up questions)
I have a 1930s house where I'm renovating the bathroom - a complete refit that includes removing all the squeaky, somewhat rotten (in places), but crucially not-level floorboards and replacing them with a 12mm ply sub-floor adjusted to make the floor as level as I can. Then glued and screwed (every 200mm) over that is 18mm marine ply. I'm planning to use the least SLC I can get away with, to minimise the size of a step into the bathroom. Then over that is a Schlüter DITRA uncoupling layer/membrane and then tile over that with 600mm sqare 10mm tiles.

The SLC is Ardex Arditex NA (powder & latex)

Am I correct to use minimal SLC?
Will the uncoupling layer protect the tiles if the SLC is thin and if not, what's a minimum thickness?

Have I forgotten anything?
Latex first then ditra if you have these materials to hand. If not, 22mm ply sub floor, 6mm cement board and tile

G

Greg

20180907_103510.jpg
Latex first then ditra if you have these materials to hand. If not, 22mm ply sub floor, 6mm cement board and tile
Maybe this image more clearly explains what I mean.
I've already got the 12mm subfloor and 18mm Marine ply down (glued & screwed). So, if I understand your response, I'm right to use the latex based SLC over the ply, then the Ditra, then the tile. The remaining question is can I go for the thinnest possible amount of SLC where it may even fade to zero (options A &/or B) or is there a minimum thickness (option C)?

H

hmtiling

You can feather na out so options a and b. It doesn't go very deep without aggregate though, 15mm if memory serves. :thumbsup:

Reply to Ditra over SLC over ply over ply in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks