Discuss Ditra matting on top of Hardiebacker board? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
Good morning guys and gals,

Went to look at a job at the weekend. Hallway in a victorian house.
15m2. Floorboards down at present. Big skirting boards present too.

The owners want to replace the floorboards with 10mm Hardiebacker board with Ditra matting on top. They tell me Mr Hardie himself has recommended this.

I'm just wondering about trowelling matting onto cement boards. I've never done that before. You ain't going to get much time with the adhesive, surely.

I actually think it should be a thicker ply and then Ditra with vinyl adhesive.

Has anybody trowelled Ditra matting onto Hardiebacker board?

Thank you in advance guys and gals..... and you Antonio!

W

Waluigi

10mm Hardiebacker doesn’t exist.

Not as far as I’m aware anyway. The common thicknesses are 6 and 12mm.

Overboarding the floorboards in 6mm might be OK but directly on to joists I assume is just a typo or we are misunderstanding you. Surely nobody thinks this is acceptable?

S

Spare Tool

12mm Hardi isn't suitable and 22mm hardi is not available in this country, and ply over ufh is a bad idea, it needs to be a 22mm structural cement board like nomoreply or Giffafloor screwed to joists, so either the skirtings will need removing or tile up to them leaving an expansion gap and silicone.

Chewie

TF
Reaction score
10mm Hardiebacker doesn’t exist.

Not as far as I’m aware anyway. The common thicknesses are 6 and 12mm.

Overboarding the floorboards in 6mm might be OK but directly on to joists I assume is just a typo or we are misunderstanding you. Surely nobody thinks this is acceptable?
It’s heated in between the joists and they want to put Hardiebacker down onto
12mm Hardi isn't suitable and 22mm hardi is not available in this country, and ply over ufh is a bad idea, it needs to be a 22mm structural cement board like nomoreply or Giffafloor screwed to joists, so either the skirtings will need removing or tile up to them leaving an expansion gap and silicone.
Thank you for this.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You can get 19mm Hardie Floor, not cheap though.

W

Waluigi

I think No More Ply, the thicker unavailable Hardiebacker and that Norcross Pro Ply are the only types of board that could go on top of the UFH. That’s off the top of my head so please check the specs. Oh yeah, Gifa board too?

O

Old Mod

You can get 19mm Hardie Floor, not cheap though.
No you can’t, not anymore.
Hardiefloor is manufactured in Australia, and is no longer imported.
Well that’s not strictly true, you can order it if you buy 4000 sheets I believe. :D

Reply to Ditra matting on top of Hardiebacker board? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks