Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Dissimilar sized tiles in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. James De

James De Professional Tiler Top Contributor

so some of the tiles I’m fitting aren’t exactly the same size, as in some are a mm shorter/longer than others.

Not sure if this is normal?

But WTF are you supposed to do to keep grout lines the same width?

2. pdc

pdc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Use wedges instead of spacers and average out the gap. Should always check the tolerances before fitting so if they are sizey you can explain to the client they can't have the 2mm gap they wanted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Boggs

Boggs Professional Tiler Top Contributor

1mm!

Wait until you get to fit some BCT tiles!

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. macten

macten Professional Tiler

You can't.
    You can minimise the irregularities by going with a slightly wider joint, expect to use plenty of red wedges as well as spacers and go by eye.
    Choosing a grout colour that blends with tile colour also helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Boggs

Boggs Professional Tiler Top Contributor

It doesn’t sound like your having much fun with this job.

6. James De

I was the same when I started plumbing, stressed out to the max. Tiling isn’t any different. I guess it’s the new boy syndrome. Based on my previous post you wouldn’t think I’m a perfectionist but I am and these tiles are depressing me.. this job is depressing me haha Tiling period is depressing me but I’m determined to get better at it

• Like Like x 1
  7. James De

Yeah I think I’m gonna convince her to get off white grout instead of blooming grey (tiles are off white) :mad:

8. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If it was that easy people would do it themselves!!
    Proper training and apprenticeships are what the industry requires as there are too many inexperienced diyers taking money under false pretences.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James De

I’m not asking for painting by numbers.. ok maybe I am haha (I’m kidding). I hear you loud and clear John. I wouldn’t class myself as DIY not taking money under false pretences. I know how you feel about this from my other posts and I partly agree with you.

10. timeless john

The thing with age and me in particular is I cannot remember what I posted last week! So at least I’am consistent and although you have reminded me, it is certainly not personal. I look back at threads that have been ‘bumped’ and often wonder why did I say that!
    Most people just ignore me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. timeless john

Is that @JulianSidney@JulianSidney in the background?
    It’s very nice to have you reading, I’ve missed you!
    John

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

One way of coping with tiles that vary in size is to mark your area in to bays.
    Lay them out dry in a clear area and adjust them by eye till they appear to have an even joint.
    Then measure a certain number, whether it be 3,6 or 10, then transfer that measurement to your substrate and repeat that distance over the whole area.
    As long as you contain the tiles within that area it’ll all appear to be the same.
    With a little adjustment here and there.
    Remembering to add a joint at one end of your measurement.

Find a Tiler Post a Job Tile Events Tile Pics Blog Adhesive Poll Handy Downloads