Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Dissimilar sized tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
so some of the tiles I’m fitting aren’t exactly the same size, as in some are a mm shorter/longer than others.

Not sure if this is normal?

But WTF are you supposed to do to keep grout lines the same width?

W

WetSaw

Use wedges instead of spacers and average out the gap. Should always check the tolerances before fitting so if they are sizey you can explain to the client they can't have the 2mm gap they wanted.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
1mm!

Wait until you get to fit some BCT tiles!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
You can't.
You can minimise the irregularities by going with a slightly wider joint, expect to use plenty of red wedges as well as spacers and go by eye.
Choosing a grout colour that blends with tile colour also helps.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like your having much fun with this job.

OP
J
Reaction score
It doesn’t sound like your having much fun with this job.
I was the same when I started plumbing, stressed out to the max. tile isn’t any different. I guess it’s the new boy syndrome. Based on my previous post you wouldn’t think I’m a perfectionist but I am and these tiles are depressing me.. this job is depressing me haha tile period is depressing me but I’m determined to get better at it

OP
J
Reaction score
You can't.
You can minimise the irregularities by going with a slightly wider joint, expect to use plenty of red wedges as well as spacers and go by eye.
Choosing a grout colour that blends with tile colour also helps.
Yeah I think I’m gonna convince her to get off white grout instead of blooming grey (tiles are off white) :mad:

T

Time's Ran Out

If it was that easy people would do it themselves!!
Proper training and apprenticeships are what the industry requires as there are too many inexperienced diyers taking money under false pretences.

OP
J
Reaction score
If it was that easy people would do it themselves!!
Proper training and apprenticeships are what the industry requires as there are too many inexperienced diyers taking money under false pretences.
I’m not asking for painting by numbers.. ok maybe I am haha (I’m kidding). I hear you loud and clear John. I wouldn’t class myself as DIY not taking money under false pretences. I know how you feel about this from my other posts and I partly agree with you.

T

Time's Ran Out

The thing with age and me in particular is I cannot remember what I posted last week! So at least I’am consistent and although you have reminded me, it is certainly not personal. I look back at threads that have been ‘bumped’ and often wonder why did I say that!
Most people just ignore me.

O

Old Mod

One way of coping with tiles that vary in size is to mark your area in to bays.
Lay them out dry in a clear area and adjust them by eye till they appear to have an even joint.
Then measure a certain number, whether it be 3,6 or 10, then transfer that measurement to your substrate and repeat that distance over the whole area.
As long as you contain the tiles within that area it’ll all appear to be the same.
With a little adjustment here and there.
Remembering to add a joint at one end of your measurement.

Reply to Dissimilar sized tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock