Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Diamond hand pads or polishing discs in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am looking at getting some hand pads or the polishing/grinding disc for a few DIY jobs coming up.
And looking for advice on what would be the best to buy as they will only be used for DIY.
I already have a rotary polishers that I can use for the discs if these are better.
Kitchen splash back with Porcelain and have a mitre cuts for round the window. Will take most the meet off the tile with the grinder before finishing it.
Also have ceramic tiles 600x300x9 for a small toilet that I am doing half height all way round and have 1 outside corner to do.
What grits in each would be desirable?
Thanks in advance.

O

One Day

I use (usually) semi-hard velcro backing pads and norton abrasive paper discs. Makita variable speed 115mm grinder, dry.
For porcelain - 60/220/400.
These get my by for mitres, and are also suitable for most stone.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I use (usually) semi-hard velcro backing pads and norton abrasive paper discs. Makita variable speed 115mm grinder, dry.
For porcelain - 60/220/400.
These get my by for mitres, and are also suitable for most stone.
Do you fit the backing plate to your grinder? I will be buying the Bosch variable grinder.

W

Waluigi

Doing some this week. Probably cost me £30 for the set. Used them on ceramic and porcelain.

2263DDBF-C255-4DA1-B3D2-07C704E2BCF6.jpeg

The one julian posted looks good as it looks like fine diamonds on there. That’s where you need to be careful. Using sanding pads etc takes out the risk of chipping. A lot does depend on the tiles you’re mitring though.

I’ve never used the paper abrasive pads so can’t comment on them or compare. I must get some at some point.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Doing some this week. Probably cost me £30 for the set. Used them on ceramic and porcelain.

View attachment 105290

The one julian posted looks good as it looks like fine diamonds on there. That’s where you need to be careful. Using sanding pads etc takes out the risk of chipping. A lot does depend on the tiles you’re mitring though.

I’ve never used the paper abrasive pads so can’t comment on them or compare. I must get some at some point.
The diamond discs I have seen and look interesting aswell, read they need bedded in alot to get them to work and as it's DIY wouldn't get alot of use.
Where did you purchase them, seem some on eBay that look decent at £4.95 per disc so can select the grits you need.
Did you mean the grinding blade can cause chips?

O

One Day

I've got a full set of diamond pads. Used twice. In my experience they've no advantage over paper discs. Especially in dry use.
The stone masons have been twiddling edges far longer than us tilers have They've got the techniques and materials sorted already.

Reply to Diamond hand pads or polishing discs in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock