Discuss Diamond hand pads or polishing discs in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bill

When I heard there was low stock from ATS for the electroplated disc...... I bought 2 of them - maybe the last two?

C

Concrete guy

What speed on a variable speed grinder should you use the electroplated diamond grinding disc?

The EP grinding discs are designed to be run at full speed on a regular grinder, so circa 10,000 to 12,000 rpm, and used with little pressure.

Try and hold the grinder/blade in a way that it's not "cutting" up through the finished surface of the tile, this will eliminate chipping.

I had a look through your order history with us and you bought a 115mm Continuous rim porcelain blade from us. If that's the one that's causing the chipping on your tile, then try using it wet (hold a sponge against it whilst cutting), that seems to be a popular way of using this blade on some very hard porcelains.

For pure dry cuts some of the other designs can perform better, turbo's, DNA's, Helix's and X type blades. It can be a bit trial and error and it's unusual one blade works on everything. That's why many of the members here have different blades for different products.

Any specific questions, just ask. We're happy to help.

Reaction score
The EP grinding discs are designed to be run at full speed on a regular grinder, so circa 10,000 to 12,000 rpm, and used with little pressure.

Try and hold the grinder/blade in a way that it's not "cutting" up through the finished surface of the tile, this will eliminate chipping.

I had a look through your order history with us and you bought a 115mm Continuous rim porcelain blade from us. If that's the one that's causing the chipping on your tile, then try using it wet (hold a sponge against it whilst cutting), that seems to be a popular way of using this blade on some very hard porcelains.

For pure dry cuts some of the other designs can perform better, turbo's, DNA's, Helix's and X type blades. It can be a bit trial and error and it's unusual one blade works on everything. That's why many of the members here have different blades for different products.

Any specific questions, just ask. We're happy to help.
Thanks. Will the grinding disc work out of the box or does it need breaking-in?
I have always used wet bridge saws in the past and have little experience of trying to achieve chipless edges on porc. dry.
A friend has offered to lend me what I believe is a Vitrex wet saw but he says the original blade still chips when wet. Might a more expensive blade chip less?
In the past when hiring wet bridge saws I have bought my own blades, too long ago to remember the brand, and they have definitely cut better than the hire shops.
This particular job is awkward, they are 20x20cmx10mm very expensive porc. tiles and I need to cut very small amounts off one edge as the wall is only 10mm shorter than a full row of tiles. To complicate matters the walls at the end are slightly out of plumb and are not tiled.

C

Concrete guy

Thanks. Will the grinding disc work out of the box or does it need breaking-in?
I have always used wet bridge saws in the past and have little experience of trying to achieve chipless edges on porc. dry.
A friend has offered to lend me what I believe is a Vitrex wet saw but he says the original blade still chips when wet. Might a more expensive blade chip less?
In the past when hiring wet bridge saws I have bought my own blades, too long ago to remember the brand, and they have definitely cut better than the hire shops.
This particular job is awkward, they are 20x20cmx10mm very expensive porc. tiles and I need to cut very small amounts off one edge as the wall is only 10mm shorter than a full row of tiles. To complicate matters the walls at the end are slightly out of plumb and are not tiled.

The grinding disc is a pretty fine grit at #120, it works straight out of the box. Plenty of members here use them and can advise what you need to do if you're struggling. Explain the problems you're having exactly, including how you're using it and we should be able to figure out what the issue is.

A decent blade is more important than the machine (within reason).

Decent doesn't necessarily mean expensive. It just needs to be suited to what you're cutting.

As a company we don't sponsor this forum or pay to be here and as such I can't link promote our own products or link back to our website. I can provide back up on our products or generic advice.

Members here will point you towards a suitable blade for your machine, (whoever's brand) but you've got the right thought process, the blade is most important when it comes to a clean cut.

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
DG, what are you planning on doing with the tiles? Cutting, mitring?
Both, I have one external corner to do with the 600x300 ceramic tiles, so 4 tiles that I wanted to mitre, I could use trim but think would look nicer mitred.
I also have a splashback to do with window so again mitre into the window but these are porcelain split face so will try match the pattern of the split face round Into the window.

F

Flintstone

There is a similar looking electroplated disc on Amazon, I can't comment on how it compares tho as I've not used it.

W

Waluigi

Both, I have one external corner to do with the 600x300 ceramic tiles, so 4 tiles that I wanted to mitre, I could use trim but think would look nicer mitred.
I also have a splashback to do with window so again mitre into the window but these are porcelain split face so will try match the pattern of the split face round Into the window.

Sorry, yeah I remember now. Got you confused with the other thread. As mentioned it’s trial and error.

You can’t go wrong with a decent ‘mesh’ cutting blade and the polishing discs.

If you were nearer I’d give you a disc of mine. I have loads

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah I remember now. Got you confused with the other thread. As mentioned it’s trial and error.

You can’t go wrong with a decent ‘mesh’ cutting blade and the polishing discs.

If you were nearer I’d give you a disc of mine. I have loads
Thanks for the offer.
I looked on Amazon and came across THESE won't be the best but though was a good kit as get 2 of each grit to try out.
What you think, they be ok for the few tiles I need to do?

Going to use the Premtool thin turbo blade which gets foot reviews so hopefully the cuts will be fine.

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I am still searching the web for best place to buy and came across mesh style silicon carbide discs, can these be used on ceramic and porcelain?

Reply to Diamond hand pads or polishing discs in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks