Discuss Diagonal cuts on manual cutter in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Werz

Hi guys
I'm planning on doing some manual diagonal cuts with porcelain glazed, 600x600x10mm tiles. Problem I'm having is 95% of the tile snaps correctly along the score line but wonders off the line just before the end. This means I'm ruining one half of the the tile. I'm doing envelope cuts for a wetroom so would like to keep both sides of the cut. Anyone know how to keep the cut line all the way along?

T

Time's Ran Out

You could use a wet cutter or grinder or tap the back with toffee hammer instead of the snapping bar.

L

LM

What cutter are you using and do you have it set correctly?
For envelope shower former cuts you should make them with a grinder with the correct blade or a wet saw as they take the thickness of the blade out of the tile and then that creates the grout joint that you will need and helps keep the tiles aligned better.

W

Werz

Hi
I've got a large sigma cutter. I was planing on cutting the tile down the score line then carefully polishing 1mm off both pieces to make the 2mm grout line. Ive got these diamond grit polishing pads, which im told shpuld do the job. Will have wait and see if that works. First step is to do the diagonal cuts.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
On envelope cuts you need to remove an amount of the tile. Usually 3mm, which is the thickness of a cutting blade.
This then allows the use of a3 mm spacer, when the tile is set in place.

L

LM

Hi
I've got a large sigma cutter. I was planing on cutting the tile down the score line then carefully polishing 1mm off both pieces to make the 2mm grout line. Ive got these diamond grit polishing pads, which im told shpuld do the job. Will have wait and see if that works. First step is to do the diagonal cuts.
Have you a close up picture of the tile? A Sigma usually wouldn’t struggle with this type of cut providing you have scored adequately and have the height adjusted correctly. What model of Sigma is it? Is this a diy project?

W

Werz

I've tried using this method but the diamond wheel cutter makes small chips in the glaze.
So why does the manual cutter not snap the tiles properly. How do I set it correctly?

W

Werz

I'll send a picture tomorrow. I bought the tiles from betterbathrooms. They are called quattro silver. They're really hard with a tough glaze. I'm not a pro tiler but fairly competent. However I've never needed to do a wetroom before. Until now!

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
With a good blade in an angle grinder following your scribe should give you the cut you want with a grout margin ..( as quoted by others)
Just run through carefully and lightly
Good luck

W

Werz

That's great thanks for your help.

Just for my information on diagonal cuts though. How do I set the height of the cutter correctly as mentioned previously?

Reply to Diagonal cuts on manual cutter in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks