Discuss Decoupling required on a Gyvlon screed? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Just looking for some clarification.

I have a 28 sq metre screed slab, Gyvlon Thermio liquid screed, with wet UFH. The laitance has been taken off and it's fully dried. There are no cracks.

After its been primed with APD, will BAL rapid set flexible fibre be ok without a decoupling mat?

The BAL docs say 'may' be used. They appear to only say that the mat is mandatory on wooden substrates.

If a mat is requied, how much adhesive should go under it and on top? 6mm notch trowel above and below mat?

Tiles will be travertine.

Using the mat adds another £500 of materials...ish... 2 layers of adhesive and the mat...

Cheers!

T

Time's Ran Out

It's travertine -
Personally I'd use Tilemaster primer, Tilemaster Gyvlon screed adhesive , Ditra mat, Tilemaster fast set flexible white adhesive, Tilemaster beige grout 3000.
Make sure the UFH has been run and off before tiling.

Reaction score
same as above, TM do an anti fracture mat if you want a one stop shop for everything.

And yes, it is advised a decoupler is used when natural stone is being fitter ontop of ufh.

Reaction score
Thanks chaps!

If I'm using a decoupler, what trowel notch sizes would you use below and above the mat? 3mm below, 6mm above? Or still use a 10mm circular on top?

H

hmtiling

Thanks chaps!

If I'm using a decoupler, what trowel notch sizes would you use below and above the mat? 3mm below, 6mm above? Or still use a 10mm circular on top?
I would use 4mm below and 10mm above with tiles back skimmed. I use a Karl Dahm underlayment roller for ditra/durabase which i find very handy

T

Time's Ran Out

I use Doc Martins size 8 and 13 stone body weight!
Under the Ditra 4mm and above whatever I pick up to fit the tiles as I trowel the floor and the tile.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd use the TM matting along with primer, tilemaster anylfix and use stamdard s1 or rapid o top of matting.
Or equivalent;)

D

Dumbo

Me being picky I use 4mm notch under Ditra or dural and 3 mm under flat mats like bal rapid Matt.

H

hmtiling

I assume tm will guarantee their mat with anhyfix and bal won't guarantee with gypsum addy. If the case tm is the better choice imo

D

Dumbo

I assume tm will guarantee their mat with anhyfix and bal won't guarantee with gypsum addy. If the case tm is the better choice imo
Call me sceptic but has any body made a claim against an adhesive manufacturer guarantee and they have just dealt with it.

H

hmtiling

Call me sceptic but has any body made a claim against an adhesive manufacturer guarantee and they have just dealt with it.
hahaha. Nope, i've never heard of one just holding their hands up but Tilemaster have a great reputation, engage with fixers and stand by their products. Also, why would't you use gypsum with gypsum when the guarantee is there?

D

Dumbo

hahaha. Nope, i've never heard of one just holding their hands up but Tilemaster have a great reputation, engage with fixers and stand by their products. Also, why would't you use gypsum with gypsum when the guarantee is there?
As I said guarantees are worthless . It was. Delete as appropriate . To wet, to dry, to cold, to hot , what primer ! .
I have had adhesive manufacturers tell me OK to do a job a certain way then when I ask them to send a written spec saying the same They then backed out .

H

hmtiling

As I said guarantees are worthless . It was. Delete as appropriate . To wet, to dry, to cold, to hot , what primer ! .
I have had adhesive manufacturers tell me OK to do a job a certain way then when I ask them to send a written spec saying the same They then backed out .
Have you had a few failures then?

Reply to Decoupling required on a Gyvlon screed? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks