Discuss Dead short in the join in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all

Just after some of your professional opinions on what to do with a situation I was faced with!
Just over 3 years ago I fitted an electric heat loose wire system for a customer, it was 2 separate elements run off 1 stat. Had a call from the builder to say that one of them was not working and he had his sparky in to check it and then disconnected it.
I have only ever bought my U/H from one company.
When I spoke to company, he said I would need to pay £450 + vat for someone to come and repair the cable. If it is a manufacturer error,I would get a refund although if it was an intall error then understably I would lose my money.There would also need to be a tiler on site to remove and replace tiles as necessary which is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty
The problem I have is that the earth had shorted in the join of the mat which clearly is a manufacturing error although I used my own sparky(my dad) to fix the problem and could have had his invoice to pay although he didn't charge me
This is the second time this has happened - exactly the same problem and we fixed it in exactly the same way although on the first occasion, they agreed to pay half of my repair invoice and the electrician's charge.
My concern is that how many other mats are likely to fail in this way
Mike

J

J Sid

was the joint of the cable encapsulate in slc/adhesive?
did you put slc over the wires or tile straight on?
£450+vat seems very pricy, I thought you could get it repaired for about £200

Reaction score
Also if I had paid for one of their chaps to come and repair the mat and they confirmed it a manufacturing fault, would they then invoice the manufacturer for the repair?

D

Dumbo

Also if I had paid for one of their chaps to come and repair the mat and they confirmed it a manufacturing fault, would they then invoice the manufacturer for the repair?
Bearing in mind these guys get a lot of their work from ufh company's you got to think they are going to find in favour of ufh manufacturers.

D

Dumbo

Hi all

Just after some of your professional opinions on what to do with a situation I was faced with!
Just over 3 years ago I fitted an electric heat loose wire system for a customer, it was 2 separate elements run off 1 stat. Had a call from the builder to say that one of them was not working and he had his sparky in to check it and then disconnected it.
I have only ever bought my U/H from one company.
When I spoke to company, he said I would need to pay £450 + vat for someone to come and repair the cable. If it is a manufacturer error,I would get a refund although if it was an intall error then understably I would lose my money.There would also need to be a tiler on site to remove and replace tiles as necessary which is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty
The problem I have is that the earth had shorted in the join of the mat which clearly is a manufacturing error although I used my own sparky(my dad) to fix the problem and could have had his invoice to pay although he didn't charge me
This is the second time this has happened - exactly the same problem and we fixed it in exactly the same way although on the first occasion, they agreed to pay half of my repair invoice and the electrician's charge.
My concern is that how many other mats are likely to fail in this way
Mike
Please name ufh company so I know who not to buy of . They won't mind If they think it is acceptable how they operate.

Reply to Dead short in the join in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks