Discuss Cutting Really Hard Porcelain Tiles. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

StevieBoy

I am currently doing a new build where the customer has bought some tiles from Porcelenasa.
They are 440mm x 660mm porcelain and are the hardest most evil tiles I have come across in 20 years of tiling.
I bought a Rubi TX-900n from Dave at Trade tiler as my TS -60 wouldn't entertain them and even it won't cut them properly. I have lubricated the scoring wheel with the oil from a rubi maintenance kit, scored the tile a few times either end more than once, and they just break where they want to.
My next step was to buy one of those montolit blades for my mini grinder, now it does cut them but chips the edges like you would not believe.
My wet bed cutter was the same, chipped the edges etc.

I've tried scoring with the rubi, then using the montolit but that didn't work, tried putting tape on and cut through that but that didn't change anything either.
The cuts at the
top I can get away with, as the chipped edge is disguised with the grout - but it's when you come to doing the L shapes around the top and bottom of the windows that I'm struggling with.
I contacted Dave at trade tiler, explained everything to him and the method I was using with the Tx900n and he reassured me I was doing everything correct.

So has anyone else come across these, and if so how did you cut them with no chipping?
Thanks.

M

Mr Tiler

First try some cardboard under the tile, also once scored move the tile an inch or two down the cutter before breaking because if you look the solid centre bit of the bed is away from the edge ive had this problem with my 750 mate thats my 2 pence

O

Old Mod

Maybe try scoring back too and tapping along the back with pin hammer before trying to break on ur TX

M

Mr Tiler

Ive used siramics the once but the breaking system is the same as the tx so cant see much of a difference although i remember watching a vid with prev members having a comp, sure the thread will end up linked but that was purely about who can cut the thinnest slither! And who needs a slither other than 3 fall with those class glass cuts! Lol

S

StevieBoy

First try some cardboard under the tile, also once scored move the tile an inch or two down the cutter before breaking because if you look the solid centre bit of the bed is away from the edge ive had this problem with my 750 mate thats my 2 pence
Maybe try scoring back too and tapping along the back with pin hammer before trying to break on ur TX

Thanks chaps, will give both methods a try and report back next week.

Still not sure how I'm going to cut the L shaped ones though without chipping the edges. :mad:

M

Mr Tiler

Thanks chaps, will give both methods a try and report back next week.

Still not sure how I'm going to cut the L shaped ones though without chipping the edges. :mad:
Wet cutter bud grinders great for most but some are brittle as hell thats where wet cuts come in

M

Mr Tiler

That was done with a Montolit glass blade Ash, on a wet cutter mate.:D
Ahh thats why the finnish was so nice, as i just explained haha i think the motolit might be the htc of the tile cutting world in that case, "quietly brilliant" lol

O

Old Mod

Ahh thats why the finnish was so nice, as i just explained haha i think the motolit might be the htc of the tile cutting world in that case, "quietly brilliant" lol

At the cost of their blades Ash they'd better we'll be damn good! Haha

M

Mr Tiler

At the cost of their blades Ash they'd better we'll be damn good! Haha
Tell ya summet mate was looking at trade tiler last night after the recent thread, the amount of spare bits for my rubi im sure that sites owned by a rubi rep lol. But then again i was looking at the "bits under a fiver section" lol

Reply to Cutting Really Hard Porcelain Tiles. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks