Discuss Cutting porcelain tiles diagonally in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to cut 600 x 600 porcelain tiles diagonally corner to corner on my bridge saw. Upon making contact with the tile, the edge chips leaving an unsharp cut at the start. Do you have any suggestions to avoid this. Could it be a sign that the blade has lost its edge? Cutting across a tile 90 degree to the blade leaves a clean cut throughout.
Kind regards,
Stuart

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Julian, I was thinking of trying a few passes as you have suggested. Would you suggest 5mm depth at a time, or would you make the first pass only a couple of mm.
Maybe it’s just trial and errror.
Kind regards
Stuart

J

J Sid

yes , about 5 mm then with grinder cut right though the tile at both ends then wet cut the rest in a few passes.

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
It worked well today, so thank you
The cuts are on show so I wanted to get them good.
If I wanted to put a chamfer on them like the rest of the tile edge, how would suggest I go about it?

C

Concrete guy

A chamfer can be created with diamond hand pads, an electroplated diamond vanity blade (on a variable speed grinder) or coarse polishing pads and a polisher/variable speed angle grinder.

Hand pad = slowest but most control
Vanity Blade = This is what masons use to chamfer granite worktops mostly.
Polishing pads = An alternative to an EP vanity blade.

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Thank you ATS, I only have three tile edges to do so I may look at using a hand pad. Are you able to provide a product name and part number?
Kind regards
Stuart

C

Concrete guy

Thank you ATS, I only have three tile edges to do so I may look at using a hand pad. Are you able to provide a product name and part number?
Kind regards
Stuart

I can't provide links back to our website on forum (advertising etc) but some of the other members will be able to point you in the right direction.

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Thank you guys, you’ve been very helpful. Is there one grade of hand pad that will do the trick to create the chamfer or will I require multiple grades?
Kind regards
Stuart

Reply to Cutting porcelain tiles diagonally in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks