Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cutting out door frames to fit tile under in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
E

EdMac

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
It's the moulded frame that meets the floor and that skirting will butt up against inside the room. I thought an architrave was a frame? Perhaps I've used the wrong word...

S

Spare Tool

It's the moulded frame that meets the floor and that skirting will butt up against inside the room. I thought an architrave was a frame? Perhaps I've used the wrong word...
Architrave is the moulded wood strip fitted after the casing/frame goes in and is separate to the frame.. Have you got a multi tool?

O

Old Mod

Well I was trying to be funny...but you've spoiled it :) haha
The movie reference was from the 5th Element with Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich, when they are stood at boarding gate for the vacation space ship. Haha
Just so you know.
Good movie. Gary old man plays a great baddie.
Anyway off topic a little hehe

OP
E

EdMac

TF
Reaction score
Have you got a multi tool?
No, but when I've fitted laminate flooring I've got by with a saw and chisel on wood and it's worked fine. These appear to be an MDF type material so should be easier than wood. I was just wondering about the height to remove but will use the laser level technique.

S

Spare Tool

No, but when I've fitted laminate flooring I've got by with a saw and chisel on wood and it's worked fine. These appear to be an MDF type material so should be easier than wood. I was just wondering about the height to remove but will use the laser level technique.
I managed fine for years with a wood saw, plunge cut multi tool just makes it easier..

W

Waluigi

sorry but I completely disagree. Suggesting you would never do something is wrong. Sometimes you would leave the architrave on and sometimes you would remove them and replace/refit. It depends completely on the level of refit.

Personally if I was tile say a kitchen floor then I’d prefer to take the skirts off too and then probably the architrave. That doesn’t mean that on some jobs I would never leave them on. Sometimes I would leave them on. Never is wrong.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
sorry but I completely disagree. Suggesting you would never do something is wrong. Sometimes you would leave the architrave on and sometimes you would remove them and replace/refit. It depends completely on the level of refit.

Personally if I was tile say a kitchen floor then I’d prefer to take the skirts off too and then probably the architrave. That doesn’t mean that on some jobs I would never leave them on. Sometimes I would leave them on. Never is wrong.
To be fair, no one seems to give a flying broccoli and cauliflower sammich what yiu say sweetcheeks

Reply to Cutting out door frames to fit tile under in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock