Discuss cutting long porcelain in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Matthew77

Hi all

I need some advice on cutting some “wooden plank” look porcelain tiles. I’ve previously cut up to 1.8m tiles (flooring) with an angle grinder but the edge finish wasn’t important as would eventually be hidden by the skirting. I’m in the process of tiling a bathroom in landscape format of 1.2mx0.25m tiles and need to cut the tiles length ways to meet the floor, around the window and cut over the bath.

I’m really struggling to cut these on the Dewalt 2400 and have been wondering if I can modify the table to support and accommodate longer tiles, has anyone here had any success doing this?

My other thought was to gently cut and grind the tiles using a angle grinder but I’m doubtful this will get a clean and straight enough cut.

I’ve been out of the Tiling tool loop for a while so what is everyone using now to cut these long tiles? Suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Matt

OP
O

Old Mod

There is an American tiled who’s just come up with a mod for the dewalt saw, but not much use to you right now unfortunately.

Cheapest way is to get one of these or similar.

491AE1E3-F125-4FD5-AC04-C8AC6085BEC0.jpeg

Get a bench made up full length of tiles, then get metal straight edge and fix it to the tile using spring loaded clamps and use the straight edge as a guide to fun your grinder down, using foot plate of guard as your fence. :)

OP
M

Matthew77

There is an American tiled who’s just come up with a mod for the dewalt saw, but not much use to you right now unfortunately.

Cheapest way is to get one of these or similar.

View attachment 99079

Get a bench made up full length of tiles, then get metal straight edge and fix it to the tile using spring loaded clamps and use the straight edge as a guide to fun your grinder down, using foot plate of guard as your fence. :)

Thanks 3fall

That seems like the solution for the moment I’ve got a brand new monolit dna blade so hopefully that will give a decent cut.

Any idea where to get such a thing in the UK, or what it’s called to search for? I’m guessing it’s a universal fit so the Bosch attachment would fit a Makita grinder.

OP
O

Old Mod

Thank you.

Now to find one that’s makita compatible
Haha :)
Herzo is a good universal brand Matthew.

Oh yeah, that will cost you 10 posts in the next 14 days by the way.
Nothing in life is free, not even on here. Haha :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

OP
M

Matthew77

Haha :)
Herzo is a good universal brand Matthew.

Oh yeah, that will cost you 10 posts in the next 14 days by the way.
Nothing in life is free, not even on here. Haha :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
The Herzo one doesn’t look like it’d run up against a straight edge very well?

I’m now wondering wether it might be better to get a festool with a diamond blade.

10 posts sounds like a decent deal

OP
O

Old Mod

I’m now wondering wether it might be better to get a festool with a diamond blade.

Depending on which model but @martin1c has one, mixed thoughts last he posted about it.
Try the search box above, you may find post.

Kool thank you. Just like to encourage experienced guys like yourself to post a little more often. :)

OP
M

Matthew77

Depending on which model but @martin1c has one, mixed thoughts last he posted about it.
Try the search box above, you may find post.

Kool thank you. Just like to encourage experienced guys like yourself to post a little more often. :)

Yes just read that thread, doesn’t seem like it’s got very good praise, I’m certainly not thinking of throwing £500 on one after reading that! Shame really. I’m surprised there seems so little out there a cordless water fed rail and plunge saw would be ideal for this sort of thing, plus these tiles are really popular at the moment!

I do pop in here occasionally but not very often, I’ll try and get time to contribute a bit more as this forum was a great help to me when I was first starting out.

OP
M

Matthew77

Shame you’re not closer, could have used my Rubi TC180 that will work just fine for what you want.

I wasn’t aware of that ruby cutter. How do you rate that? I get the feeling something like that if it worked well would replace the big dewalt table saw

OP
O

Old Mod

Personally, when I was doing that kind of work I have nothing but good to say about it.
Except one thing, it doesn’t mitre, but I do mine by hand so to me it makes no difference.
But overall it’s excellent I think.
A couple have bought on my recommendation and as yet have not slagged me off haha
@macten I think bought one.
If you consider it after more thought, do not buy ruby rails, buy festool, they’re cheaper by the mm, at least they were.
And clamps are a must, you can clamp rail direct to tile.
Water fed is best, but messy. I would make a chute to nearest drain with a tarp.
Dry cut is very dusty and extraction only works with blade at full depth, that can be a hinderance.

OP
M

Matthew77

I think like you I’d not really be looking for it to do mitres, just a straight clean cut on long tiles. Setting it up wet looks like it’d be well messy and a bit of a hassle tbh I think I’d be looking at using it for dry cuts ideally. I don’t mind setting up outside as working inside bathrooms all day it’s nice to get outside every now and then unless I’m working at the top of a block of flats but I tend not to take jobs like that any more.

Looks like £400 plus rail £100 plus clamps x2 £90 = nearly £600!

OP
B

Bill

Why not buy a Sigma or Montolit 1200 cutter then sell it on and you will not lose much on it especially if you keep it in good nick?

OP
M

Matthew77

Why not buy a Sigma or Montolit 1200 cutter then sell it on and you will not lose much on it especially if you keep it in good nick?

A straight cutter isn’t going to help me out much in this situation as I need to do L-shaped cuts around windows and the bath. I tend to do almost all of my porc cutting on a diamond blade as I find dry cutting porc nowadays with a score and snap cutter doesn’t seem to get good results.

OP
B

Bill

Well no. The secret is to scribe the cut first, then you can with nibble out with sharp tile pincers or use a grinder to cut up to the scribed edge (if you have a steady hand) then that will leave a beautiful neat edge where the scribe line is. You only need to do the short cut, then put the tile on the 1200 tile cutter and snap away and you will have your L cut.

OP
M

Matthew77

Well no. The secret is to scribe the cut first, then you can with nibble out with sharp tile pincers or use a grinder to cut up to the scribed edge (if you have a steady hand) then that will leave a beautiful neat edge where the scribe line is. You only need to do the short cut, then put the tile on the 1200 tile cutter and snap away and you will have your L cut.
Ah yes, that’s why I do them on a wet cutter. As by the time I’ve scored, nibbled and grinded along the score I just as well cut it on the wet saw. Sorry I misunderstood and thought you meant I could just score and snap a 90degree cut

Here you are Matthew, back to square one

Makita 196845-3 125 mm Dust Collecting Guard - Multi-Colour https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013219MXO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yS.hBb9W4BWT2

Thanks 3fall

I did look at those from the first link you posted but wasn’t sure about the boxed in style. I think if I can get one delivered in the next day or so I might take a punt on that for now and grab the ruby one at a later date.

Thanks for all your help all

macten

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I'm confused. The dewalt will cut 760mm when plunge cutting - can't you just flip the tile to cut the rest from the other end? It's not like the tiles are wide and will foul the arm.

OP
M

Matthew77

I'm confused. The dewalt will cut 760mm when plunge cutting - can't you just flip the tile to cut the rest from the other end? It's not like the tiles are wide and will foul the arm.
Thanks I’ll give it a go. I think when I tried it was tricky to hold the tile still enough to be accurate from both runs

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm using the Festool angle grinder guide rail system on the job I'm doing at the moment. The tiles are Porcelanosa 1.5m wooden planks. I'm doing all of the cuts inside the room I'm working in and connected to the vacuum. I've also got my air filter going too. The secret with the Festool is to take it slow. For porcelains I do two passes. I've tried a few blades and the one I'm having most success with is the Accumax blade - I know it was designed for cordless.

I've got the Rubi 180 but as 3Fall says, it works best as a wet cutter and it's messy. Between the two, it does the best cut though.

I've also got the Bosch angle grinder attachment and have used it with a wooden plank clamped to the tile as a guide rail. It's a good cheap way of doing things but messier and you do have to keep it wedged up against the plank to get a good cut.

OP
O

Old Mod

Hey @martin1c , thanks for adding that.
Got to admit, the AkKumax is a great blade, I use it on corded too. :D
It was that bloody Impish fella who put me on to it, good shout tho.

I was inspired by your filter set up Martin, but I bought a 300mm air mover instead, it’s also got a 5m hose I can shove out a window, works well.
Can’t find an image with the hose, but here’s the air mover.

F32CF8B7-FB7B-46C3-AC6F-44BD070CE5B1.jpeg

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hey @martin1c , thanks for adding that.
Got to admit, the AkKumax is a great blade, I use it on corded too. :D
It was that bloody Impish fella who put me on to it, good shout tho.

I was inspired by your filter set up Martin, but I bought a 300mm air mover instead, it’s also got a 5m hose I can shove out a window, works well.
Can’t find an image with the hose, but here’s the air mover.

View attachment 99118

I've got one of those too Marc. It's the absolute best if the window opening is big enough. The last few jobs have been smaller window openings. I find the 5m hose ok but but have to keep the first metre straight otherwise there's a fair bit of blow back.

OP
O

Old Mod

I've got one of those too Marc. It's the absolute best if the window opening is big enough. The last few jobs have been smaller window openings. I find the 5m hose ok but but have to keep the first metre straight otherwise there's a fair bit of blow back.
I’ve moved on now tho, still got the extractor if I need it, but recently bit the bullet for this, gotta say, it’s bloody marvellous.

10377F22-A08B-4C27-AA78-70E5D98449EA.jpeg

Twin 1200w motor with option to add a third!
32A supply is only draw back if you like, but definitely worth the investment.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve moved on now tho, still got the extractor if I need it, but recently bit the bullet for this, gotta say, it’s bloody marvellous.

View attachment 99122

Twin 1200w motor with option to add a third!
32A supply is only draw back if you like, but definitely worth the investment.

Now that's impressive!

You clearly live in a dust free world

OP
O

Old Mod

Now that's impressive!

You clearly live in a dust free world
I do try mate I do try.
You tend to create a whole lot of dust when cutting or polishing a 2.4 or 3.2m tile all in one go! :(
Still one or two procedures I’m struggling to get dust free, but still a work in progress mate. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Cut with grinder then polish back with 100# grit diamond polishing pad on grinder comes out like a factory edge if done right.better than any saw cut wet or dry.

acaciaguy

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
I have the Bosch guide / dust extractor pictured in a post above. I wanted it to cut straight lines on long tiles. when the grinder is fitted into it the direction arrows are away from the face so looking at it side on the blade spins up not down into face when the tile is Cut face up. Should this guide be used tile face down

Reply to cutting long porcelain in the Tiling Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer