Discuss Cutting curves eg around the toilet in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Waluigi

I wouldn’t be doing a job that required an old toilet to be tiled around.
Hand on heart, been in the game 26 years, ten years of that for a Bathroom company. The WC’s were never tiled around. Not much more I can say. We are talking several hundred WC’s.

J

Just Rizzle

I wouldn’t be doing a job that required an old toilet to be tiled around.
Hand on heart, been in the game 26 years, ten years of that for a Bathroom company. The WC’s were never tiled around. Not much more I can say. We are talking several hundred WC’s.
you take toilet out its an expensive on cemented down it breaks do you replace it at your cost?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thing is your coming at it from a plumbers point veiw.
I've been tiling for 36 years, and for me cutting round a toilet is easier than me taking it out.

W

Waluigi

Bathroom Fitters view point.

I do take your points though. If I went to a Quote and a customer asked me to leave their old cemented down WC in and tile around then I’d tell them it’s not really the line of work I’m in and they should probably get a local Tiler out.

D

Dumbo

Bathroom Fitters view point.

I do take your points though. If I went to a Quote and a customer asked me to leave their old cemented down WC in and tile around then I’d tell them it’s not really the line of work I’m in and they should probably get a local Tiler out.
Maybe when you answer you should stop and look to check which forum you are on . I do find some of your answers worded in such a way as this the only way to do it . They are many ways to some jobs not all of them . Yes the optimum in this instance would be to take the toilet out . But even if it is not stuck to the floor the waste may be going straight in to some tight boxing making it awkward to lift up without redoing the boxing . There are many scenarios when answering questions to be considered .

W

Waluigi

Yes there are Many different ways to do a job and I said how I would do it.

I find it completely irrelevant what forum I’m on as to how I would do a job. I always take the toilet out. Like others have said.

It's not always possible for us mere tilers to take the toilet out

I agree, plus if you’re not insured to be removing WC’s then you shouldn’t be touching them. Public liability wouldn’t be paying out of there was a leak.

Just to add, the text you quoted and your response doesn’t tally up. I said that I take your point and that I would suggest for the customer to get a Tiler out.

I see it on a lot of new Bathroom installs too. Not with Tiles I admit but LVT, the fitters will get the entire suite in, including bath panel and then get the LVT fitted. It’s the wrong way to do it IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unused Account 1

I dont cut round toilets ,going to be here a long time,toilet onto tiles ,neat as a fishcake lol

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think it's more the point certain tilers (and plumbers) lack the necessary skills to cut awkward shapes.....:rolleyes:....:):)

W

Waluigi

Personally speaking you’ve got to cut round a tray in the vast majority of instances.

Of course if there is a well reasoned argument to suggest this is wrong then I think we are all duty bound to consider a different way of doing it.

Reply to Cutting curves eg around the toilet in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks