• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Critique this Tiling Job in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not a tiler, I'm a customer. Just had a job done, a little bit to finish off tomorrow. In general an ok quality except I cannot stand the corners and it is poor/scabby around the window. Is this acceptable, yes or no, what if anything could/should be done to improve.

Is there a trim that could go in corners or around the window.

Not happy.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
TT

20190415_184434.jpg
20190415_184441.jpg
20190415_184454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sorry but it seems it has been poorly set out, and poorly executed.

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Set out could have been perhaps improved but not the end of the world.. your pictures don't really show much

OP
T
Reaction score
The plumber said that the tiler should have offset the center line and have a small tile at each side or one side. You know what tiling is a very special skill.

O

One Day

Easiest bodge is to simply rake out the grout on the slithers and next to the trim on the window and re-grout with a colour best matching the tile.
That would disguise the chips a little and take your eye away from the slithers.
Stupid mistake on the set out and poor quality cutting.

OP
T
Reaction score
I did say that to the plumber, it is a bodge though. Grey grout and white tiles, leaves nowhere to hide. How would you approach rectifying the two corners?

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There should begin silicone in the corner, whereas it looks like it's grout at present. Them thin slithers don't really align either which is obviously not great

O

Old Mod

The trim against the window, firstly why is it there?
Secondly, how far below the window does it go?
Difficult to assess possible solution with such a close up image I’m afraid.

OP
T
Reaction score
If you were going to improve that wall, would you just take the slithers and one tile out each side and put two just over half tiles back each side or redo the whole wall. Either way what would be the procedure. I'm seeing tiler today.

Same for round window.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
The window cuts can be re-done fairly easily, to remedy the slithers the whole wall needs to be stripped and re tiled really.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks Boggs. I know this may sound stupid, but can you tile over tiles? As that wall the floor tiles are up to it and the cladding is on. I know it is not ideal, but is it possible and if so. How would you go about it?

OP
T
Reaction score
Just to add the wall is plasterboard stud wall, we know the tiles are stuck well, none loose. The tiles themselves are 8mm porcelain, and they new tiles would be offset over the top of the others so the tile joints would not be aligned.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
If they are the same 8mm tiles i turned down a job for last year(b&q maybe?), they are awful tiles to work with, cheap, chip easy and very sizey .
No excuse for the bad setting out though ;)

OP
T
Reaction score
No they are good quality porcelain. Is there such a thing as an internal corner wall trim, like stainless steel that could hide those corners or anything like that?

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Yeah you can if that’s the way you would prefer to do it.
I would prime the wall first with Tilemaster Prime Plus Grip and tile on top.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
A good S1 standard set is what I would use, but match up adhesive with chosen primer would be best.

T

Tile Shop

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of tiling over existing tile due to the weight limits per square metre. Even 8mm porcelain and allowing 3-4kg for adhesive you are looking at around 20-22kgs per layer. 2 layers of tiles, 40-44kg's.

The advised limit for plaster skim (if the boards have been skimmed) is 20kgs and bare plasterboard is 32kgs. Exceeding those limits is a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.... unless I always plan to enter the room with steel toes and a hard-hat, or a deathwish.

T

Tile Shop

Still likely to be over the limit.

You have three choices.

1. Bodge it and run the risk of injuring yourself or your family when they all come down on top of you/them when taking a slash (sounds harsh but has been known)

2. Do it properly. Take the tiles down, replace any damaged plasterboard and re-tile (my prefered option)

3. Live with it and have that little slither of tile and the teeth marks in the cuts point and laugh at you every time you go in there until you go insane and end up in a straight jacket and padded cell for several years with ongoing therapy until after years of counselling and prozak you get your madness under control and finally concede that option 2 may have been the best way forward to live a life of peace and harmony :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Ha Ha Paul thanks, that's the first time I've laughed in days.

1. the toilet is over the other side of the room, so no risk there, but could get balls cut off having a shower. I don't fancy that.

2. yes

3. forget it.

is there a compromise where I could get them to take the slither and one tile out each side and put two half tiles in or will that look as bad?

By the way the shower tray/cubicle and sink is fitted on that wall since the pictures.

I did ask on this thread does there exist a corner trim, maybe brushed stainless steel that could be fitted and look ok?

T

Tile Shop

To be honest I think it will be too noticeable that you have two half tiles in a corner. You could give it a go to see if you can live with it before making your decision about re-tiling, but personally, I think it will be a waste of time. Others may have a different opinion.

It depends on how thick the slither is, but this is 15mm deep and may work to cover it?
https://www.tiling tools/product/15...ished-chrome-self-adhesive-internal-trim-2-5m

EDIT: thinking about it, if it works, it may be worth doing all internal corners to keep it uniform around the room so they don't look out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T
Reaction score
That's the sort of thing Paul, thing is I don't think 15mm is big enough to cover it, more like 25-30mm. That's quite big. Does anyone bathroom have this sort of corner finish by choice? Maybe high end bathroom - lol.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking to rip the ffing lot out. Everything is a compromise and it shouldn't be. Anyone want a job in Lancashire?

T

Tile Shop

In some situations, they can look quite neat, but if its the intended look you are looking for, there are better trims to use and the tiling still needs to be right. This is designed more of a last-ditch cover-up when all other options are exhausted.

Reply to Critique this Tiling Job in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer