Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

2. Trade Tiler for Tiling Tools

Before you post a new thread about manual tile cutters and which one to get, checkout the existing Manual Tile Cutter Threads.

Discuss Cramer fugi kit for silicone work in the Tiling Tools Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. callatiler

callatiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

I purchased this kit lately as to stop me using finger and have used it a couple of times, first time I used a fine mist spray bottle with soapy water, second time I used kit dry and just used builders wipes to clean tool often. Must say I think silicone took a very good hold onto both sides of wall and wall and floor transition and left tile clean without the use of spray even round tray. Perhaps someone with more experience can tell me the pros and cons of the use or not of spray with these kits, ie using dry am I limiting the life and profile of tool or leaving a unseen residue on tiles? 2B6F1FBD-F3C9-42ED-8876-06D4FCAD7B78.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

image.jpg
    I picked these 2mm packers/spacers up on site yesterday and did a couple of my bathrooms with a bit of fine spray from Fairy. Have to say they left my fingers so soft and gentle it was a pleasure to use them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

I have used the Fugi kit for years now. I will tool the joint dry initially which 90% of the time works perfectly. If due to the tile material or uneven surface the joint requires a bit more work, then I will use fairy liquid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. callatiler

callatiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

So don’t throw out the spray bottle just yet then. Still trying to get used to not using finger!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Plan Tec Tiling

Plan Tec Tiling Administrator Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

For me that works anyway. My way takes longer, but it saves all the grout joints soaking up fairy liquid. See how you go with it mate. When I want speed I will squirt! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

I’ve played with these tools and tried all ways, and I keep going back to the spray. Using it dry can leave a film, very thin and often pretty much invisible, which only shows up once it’s got a bit of dirt on it. I think spray helps this as it can’t stick, but the down side is you have to apply the silicone very well to be sure the soapy water isn’t going behind the silicone and stopping it sticking, even tho it looks perfect. Cut the nozzle bigger than you would usually and tool short sections at a time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Adey1980

Adey1980 Professional Tiler

Ive been using the Karl dahm profile tools and I always use fine mist spray, as said cut nozzle bigger than normal and be prepared to use a little more silicone than normal.
    Using a good quality silicone also helps

• Like Like x 2
  8. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

As above good quality silicone important.
    Couldnt get a decent finish on my recess ceramic hob in my granite with the silicone the stone guys gave me . Eventually gave up got some low mod dow corning and voila job done easy .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall [Experienced DIY] Top Contributor

Is it correct / best to cut the nozzle square ?

10. Adey1980

Adey1980 Professional Tiler

I cut mine at an angle

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

Yes cut mine at an angle. And I agree if you have thin cheap silicone it makes the job much harder

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

I cut mine square and hold the nozzle at an angle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jcrtiling

jcrtiling Professional Tiler TTA Member Top Contributor

Cut at an angle and hold at an angle

• Like Like x 1
  14. Adrian mcc

Adrian mcc Active Member

193A9156-8D85-4174-B3C9-4FE0465F6375.png I use these draper ones the silicone is softer and tools off abit better

• Like Like x 1
  15. PaulSmith

PaulSmith Professional Tiler

Also cut at an angle.

Find a Tiler Post a Job Tile Events Tile Pics Blog Adhesive Poll Handy Downloads