Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss crackle tiles and dark grout: patchy staining in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

rsk

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have used dark grey grout with crackle metro tiles, the idea being that the grout stains the cracks before applying sealant and gives it an aged look. However, the tiles have stained very irregularly: some tiles just atined in patches, some have not taken stain at all. Any ideas what i can do about this to get them to stain? i have tried reapplying grout to the tile surface but no joy

Unfortunately doesn't show up too well in photos

Last edited:
B

Bill

Most crackle glaze tiles have a disclaimer to only use white grout even to be sealed first!!!

Charcoal grout is only 2nd to black...... 'orrible to work with and nearly always causes staining.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Reaction score
You can't guarantee an overall even result because of the firing process for the glaze, also the manufacturers are probably trying to counteract grout seepage rather than encourage it. Try using a runny consistency of black grout on a spare tile: if you can't get the effect you're looking for I'd advise you to give up or you'll end up replacing all the tile work because it will look awful. Good luck.

Reply to crackle tiles and dark grout: patchy staining in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock