Discuss Cracking Statuario Marble Tiles in Wet Room in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tammy Leggetter

Hello, We have recently had a new Statuario marble floor laid in a newly created shower room. Unfortunately, after only a couple of times of using the shower we are experiencing tiles cracking. See attached pictures. Firstly three tiles cracked straight across, they appear to be cracking on the edge of the underfloor wet room tray, but now a tile has cracked straight on top of the tray. No other tiles, currently, have cracked in the outside of the underfloor wet room tray.
We have been sent a new sample Statuario tile. When it arrived in the post it was cracked in three places, we then noticed how brittle and soft the tile was and how easy it was to break, in comparison to other tiles we have samples of. It snapped when we put light pressure on it and left a white dust residue. Our tiler also said they were very soft and difficult to cut.
I would be grateful for any advice that can be offered on what the issue may be, is it the tiles or how the tiler has laid the tile? I imagine both the tile manufacturer and the tiler are not going to want to take responsibility for a very expensive floor.
Thank you very much in advance for any advice that can be given.

IMG_3340.jpg IMG_3342.jpg IMG_3339.jpg IMG_3341.jpg

O

One Day

They are very soft, but the picture shows a crack running across two tiles which clearly shows a problem underneath.
Fixed correctly, they shouldn't crack unless there is movement beyond anything the tiler should be expected to cope with.
They're cracking along the tray edge because they are bridging two substrates. I'm going to guess there is no waterproofing tape along the tray edge, because normally that would uncouple the stresses and prevent cracking.
Of course, it may be EXTREME movement which the tiler may not have foreseen...
Cracking on the tray is more worrying - usually meaning the tiles are not on a solid bed but have been fixed with blobs of adhesive.
Do I also see a lack of silicone joints in the internal corners?

T

Tammy Leggetter

A HUGE thank you for your reply. Clear sealant was used in the internal corners. I am unsure how the adhesive was used but you are advising when the tiles are re-laid that waterproofing tape be laid along the tray edge and adhesive be spread evenly and of uniform thickness? Again thank you kindly for your advice/opinion.

O

One Day

The fact that there is clear silicone over the grout on the corners, indicates to me that they don't really know how to do this, sorry!
Yes, a wet tray needs to be prepared in such a way that it can be used without any tiles. That may sound bizarre, but because grout and adhesive is not waterproof, water gets under the tiling and needs to go ONLY down the drain.
Waterproof flexible tapes should be used on all joints and adhesive should be a solid bed and as uniform a thickness as possible.
Do you have any pictures of the preparation work?

Q

Qwerty

As above. Knowing how the wet room was constructed is crucial to working out how this has occurred

T

Tammy Leggetter

Hi, thank you for your replies. Should there always be envelope cuts in the shower area ?

F

Flintstone

Incorrect prep and poor fixing technique is my bet here. They are very soft indeed but as said, they are suitable, if done right

Reply to Cracking Statuario Marble Tiles in Wet Room in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks