Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cracking Grout, advice needed in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
could someone advise?

I’ve recently had my bathroom floor tiles with ceramic tiles and in advance of my ruler fitting them we boarded the floorboards with 9mm ply.

Since the tiler installed the tiles the grout has started to crumble and fall out!

The ply seemed solid and no one walked on the tiles until fully the grout was fully dry so not sure if the issues is down to movement on the board or poor fitting/mix?

Could someone advise as to the best way to remedy the issue?

Can I rakebit our and re grout or is it better to use silicone (not sure if possible but being flexible)

Obviously don’t want to rip up as furniture and suite installed, any advice Appreciated

W

WetSaw

Ceramic tiles and thin ply was probably always going to fail. How was the ply fixed?what grade is it? any primer used?

W

Waluigi

Very difficult to say whether it is the ply or not, until you remove a tile. Not a good overboarding material anymore unless it’s a certain grade of ply.

It’s unlikely to be a grouting issue. Which grout was used? Was the grout suitable for timber floors?

Was the floor screwed down properly before the ply was used? Was the ply thoroughly screwed down before tile? Was the ply primed? Where was the ply bought?

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for feedback, I can see there is potentially a few things wrong with install, bit pi**ed off with tiler who didn't advise of potential issues before beginning TBH...don't really want to rip up and start again, any ideas as to how i could remedy?

Is it possible to use flexible grout/silicone?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thanks for feedback, I can see there is potentially a few things wrong with install, bit pi**ed off with tiler who didn't advise of potential issues before beginning TBH...don't really want to rip up and start again, any ideas as to how i could remedy?

Is it possible to use flexible grout/silicone?
He should of already use flexible grout.
Silicone is a sealant, used for expansion in corners and sealing round sanitary ware, not as a grout...
Are the tiles loose..?

L

LM

Sounds like unsuitable grout if the tiles are still sound. Rake and vacuum it out and regrout with a suitable grout. You don’t really have another option if you’re not prepared to rip it out and start again.

F

Flintstone

From my experience if grout is coming out there's only one reason, movement or loose tiles. They may seem sound on first inspection. Put a glass of water on the floor filled right up and walk about on the floor see what the water does that should give you an indication of movement

OP
A
Reaction score
Haven’t contacted tiler as wanted some advice before speak to him... tiles don’t appear to be loose, just crumbling grout which just hoovers out. surely a good tiler would identify If floor didn’t have suitable base and should have Advised remedy before starting

Reply to Cracking Grout, advice needed in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris14498
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock